The Denzel Washington-directed The Great Debaters came out on top in Tuesday’s 39th Annual NAACAP Image Award nominations with eight nods, including outstanding actor and director for Washington, and supporting actor nominations for Forest Whitaker and Nate Parker. American Gangster, I Am Legend, Talk to Me, and Tyler Perry’s Why Did I Get Married? rounded off the outstanding motion picture category. In the TV comedy categories, Ugly Betty and Everybody Hates Chris both scored multiple nominations, including outstanding comedy. TV drama nominations were fairly spread out, with Grey's Anatomy, The Unit, Lincoln Heights, and K-Ville each earning multiple nods. For music, the outstanding male artist nominations went to Chris Brown, Common, Kanye West, Prince, and Seal, while the outstanding female artist nods went to Alicia Keys, Aretha Franklin, Beyonce, Jill Scott, and Mary J. Blige. The NAACP Image Awards honor projects and individuals that promote diversity in the arts in television, recording, literature, and motion pictures. Fox is set to air the live awards presentation on Feb. 14.
Posted January 10 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- Ava DuVernay decides not to direct 'Black Panther': 'We just didn't see eye to eye'
- LeBron James: Hollywood's newest MVP
- Know this week's pop culture news? Take EW's quiz to find out
- 10 celebrity memoirs to devour this summer
- Celebrate Independence Day with Steven Tyler's new country video
- 'Bible' series won't return to NBC
- Gal Godot: 'It’s impossible not to be a little nervous' about playing Wonder Woman
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- Miranda Kerr, Ewan & Chiwetel, Karlie Kloss & More!