The Denzel Washington-directed The Great Debaters came out on top in Tuesday’s 39th Annual NAACAP Image Award nominations with eight nods, including outstanding actor and director for Washington, and supporting actor nominations for Forest Whitaker and Nate Parker. American Gangster, I Am Legend, Talk to Me, and Tyler Perry’s Why Did I Get Married? rounded off the outstanding motion picture category. In the TV comedy categories, Ugly Betty and Everybody Hates Chris both scored multiple nominations, including outstanding comedy. TV drama nominations were fairly spread out, with Grey's Anatomy, The Unit, Lincoln Heights, and K-Ville each earning multiple nods. For music, the outstanding male artist nominations went to Chris Brown, Common, Kanye West, Prince, and Seal, while the outstanding female artist nods went to Alicia Keys, Aretha Franklin, Beyonce, Jill Scott, and Mary J. Blige. The NAACP Image Awards honor projects and individuals that promote diversity in the arts in television, recording, literature, and motion pictures. Fox is set to air the live awards presentation on Feb. 14.
Posted January 17 2015 — 9:14 AM EST
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race': Our exclusive audience with the queen of second chances
- 'Bachelorette' first promo: This crazytown ain't big enough for the both of them
- 'Originals' boss breaks down latest shockers, previews a devastating finale
- 'Ant-Man' gets a tiny billboard campaign
- Django Django unveil trippy, magenta-hued video for 'Beginning to Fade'
- 'Agents of SHIELD' spinoff to star Adrianne Palicki, Nick Blood
- AC/DC drummer Phil Rudd pleads guilty
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet style: We grade the looks
- ACM Awards 2015 red carpet arrivals: What they wore
- Blake Lively in 'Age of Adaline': Style when you're forever 29
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- Katy Perry, Tim & Faith, Blake Lively and More!