The Denzel Washington-directed The Great Debaters came out on top in Tuesday’s 39th Annual NAACAP Image Award nominations with eight nods, including outstanding actor and director for Washington, and supporting actor nominations for Forest Whitaker and Nate Parker. American Gangster, I Am Legend, Talk to Me, and Tyler Perry’s Why Did I Get Married? rounded off the outstanding motion picture category. In the TV comedy categories, Ugly Betty and Everybody Hates Chris both scored multiple nominations, including outstanding comedy. TV drama nominations were fairly spread out, with Grey's Anatomy, The Unit, Lincoln Heights, and K-Ville each earning multiple nods. For music, the outstanding male artist nominations went to Chris Brown, Common, Kanye West, Prince, and Seal, while the outstanding female artist nods went to Alicia Keys, Aretha Franklin, Beyonce, Jill Scott, and Mary J. Blige. The NAACP Image Awards honor projects and individuals that promote diversity in the arts in television, recording, literature, and motion pictures. Fox is set to air the live awards presentation on Feb. 14.
Posted January 10 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- Hear the premiere of High on Fire's 'The Sunless Years'
- Buzz Bissinger talks Caitlyn Jenner story on 'Today'
- Noel Gallagher still thinks Zayn should have stayed with One Direction
- Chuck Palahniuk talks 'Fight Club 2,' shares excerpt of 'Expedition'
- Mariah Carey joined Match to release new music video
- Lost 'Empire Strikes Back' short to be remade as a feature film
- Laverne Cox comments on Caitlyn Jenner's cover shoot