(FROM VARIETY) ? The 34 Annual People's Choice Awards announced its winners on Tuesday night in a pre-taped, strike-friendly broadcast, handing favorite movie to the third installment of Pirates of the Caribbean, favorite TV drama to the Fox series House, and favorite TV comedy to CBS’ Two and a Half Men. Pirates’ Johnny Depp also won favorite male movie star, while Reese Witherspoon was named favorite female movie star. Drew Barrymore, Joaquin Phoenix, Keira Knightley, Matt Damon, George Clooney, and Brad Pitt were also honored in the film acting categories, and Katherine Heigl, Patrick Dempsey, Chandra Wilson, and Ellen DeGeneres were awarded in the individual TV categories. Queen Latifah hosted the CBS broadcast, which worked around the writers’ strike by filming winners? acceptance speeches on location, like Robin Williams, who accepted an award for favorite funny male while on a USO tour in Kabul, and music group winner Rascal Flatts at the Country Music Hall of Fame in Nashville. The format enabled actors to accept their awards for the broadcast without having to cross a picket line and attend a live event. (Variety)
Posted January 10 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- Amy Schumer takes on Cosby rape allegations
- 'Aloha': Sony defends vs. critics
- Azealia Banks to make feature film debut in RZA's 'Coco'
- Taylor Swift saluted with 8-foot Lego portrait at U.K. resort
- Tina Fey, Amy Poehler action figures
- 'Point Break' remake gets its first trailer
- Kris Jenner to trademark 'momager'
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- Ben Affleck, Taylor Swift, the Entourage Guys & More!