(FROM VARIETY) ? The 34 Annual People's Choice Awards announced its winners on Tuesday night in a pre-taped, strike-friendly broadcast, handing favorite movie to the third installment of Pirates of the Caribbean, favorite TV drama to the Fox series House, and favorite TV comedy to CBS’ Two and a Half Men. Pirates’ Johnny Depp also won favorite male movie star, while Reese Witherspoon was named favorite female movie star. Drew Barrymore, Joaquin Phoenix, Keira Knightley, Matt Damon, George Clooney, and Brad Pitt were also honored in the film acting categories, and Katherine Heigl, Patrick Dempsey, Chandra Wilson, and Ellen DeGeneres were awarded in the individual TV categories. Queen Latifah hosted the CBS broadcast, which worked around the writers’ strike by filming winners? acceptance speeches on location, like Robin Williams, who accepted an award for favorite funny male while on a USO tour in Kabul, and music group winner Rascal Flatts at the Country Music Hall of Fame in Nashville. The format enabled actors to accept their awards for the broadcast without having to cross a picket line and attend a live event. (Variety)
Posted January 10 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'PPZ': Matt Smith reveals Mr. Collins’ secret crush on Mr. Darcy
- Steven Yeun on why Glenn has yet to kill another human on 'The Walking Dead'
- 'Creed,' 'Empire,' 'Black-ish' win big at NAACP Image Awards
- Ethan Hawke to play resurrected assassin in '24 Hours to Live'
- CBS orders medical drama pilot 'Sensory' from Ridley Scott, David Zabel
- The Originals: Julie Plec blogs the return of Josh
- Julie's Diary: 'Vampire Diaries' boss goes behind the scenes on Paul Wesley-directed episode