A lot of blood gets spilled in David Cronenberg’s precisely made, often heartbreaking quasi-thriller, Eastern Promises, set amid London’s sordid sex trade. After a second viewing, the gore seems less Cronenbergian shtick than an appropriate mirroring of the Russian Mob’s brutality. Also, a potentially gimmicky plot twist involving Nikolai (a flawless Viggo Mortensen) recasts the impenetrable character as a rich enigma. EXTRAS Two making-of docs — the better of which details the creation of Mortensen’s tattoos — can’t compensate for the lack of commentary from Cronenberg.
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Drama; Starring: Viggo Mortensen, Naomi Watts, Vincent Cassel; Director: David Cronenberg; Author: Steven Knight; Release Date Wide: 09/21/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 100; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Focus Features
Posted January 11 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- Hear Icona Pop's new single 'Emergency'
- 'It' on hold; director Cary Fukunaga exits
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- Ben Stiller tweets about mom Anne Meara
- Max Greenfield joins 'AHS: Hotel' cast
- Josh Duggar: Eye on awkward joke in clip
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!