A lot of blood gets spilled in David Cronenberg’s precisely made, often heartbreaking quasi-thriller, Eastern Promises, set amid London’s sordid sex trade. After a second viewing, the gore seems less Cronenbergian shtick than an appropriate mirroring of the Russian Mob’s brutality. Also, a potentially gimmicky plot twist involving Nikolai (a flawless Viggo Mortensen) recasts the impenetrable character as a rich enigma. EXTRAS Two making-of docs — the better of which details the creation of Mortensen’s tattoos — can’t compensate for the lack of commentary from Cronenberg.
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Drama; Starring: Viggo Mortensen, Naomi Watts, Vincent Cassel; Director: David Cronenberg; Author: Steven Knight; Release Date Limited: 09/14/2007; Release Date Wide: 09/21/2007; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 100; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Focus Features
Posted January 11 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- Casting Net: Will Smith replaces Hugh Jackman in 'Collateral Beauty'
- 9 spoilers on 'Grey’s Anatomy,' 'Scandal,' 'Murder'
- NBC's 'The Wiz Live!' finds its Cowardly Lion
- ABC's 'Scandal' team on how they'd handle Donald Trump
- Lenny Kravitz breaks silence on #penisgate with text from Steven Tyler
- A 'Lion King' animator drew a perfect tribute to Cecil the lion
- Why the best 'Goldbergs' episode is one you'll never see