A lot of blood gets spilled in David Cronenberg’s precisely made, often heartbreaking quasi-thriller, Eastern Promises, set amid London’s sordid sex trade. After a second viewing, the gore seems less Cronenbergian shtick than an appropriate mirroring of the Russian Mob’s brutality. Also, a potentially gimmicky plot twist involving Nikolai (a flawless Viggo Mortensen) recasts the impenetrable character as a rich enigma. EXTRAS Two making-of docs — the better of which details the creation of Mortensen’s tattoos — can’t compensate for the lack of commentary from Cronenberg.
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Drama; Starring: Viggo Mortensen, Naomi Watts, Vincent Cassel; Director: David Cronenberg; Author: Steven Knight; Release Date Limited: 09/14/2007; Release Date Wide: 09/21/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 100; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Focus Features
Posted January 11 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Chicago Med' has two new showrunners
- Fox changes name of its new series 'The Frankenstein Code'
- Chaka Khan set for 'Dancing With the Stars'
- Why Wayne Brady freaked out at the chance to play drag queen Lola in 'Kinky Boots'
- 'American Dad!' renewed for two seasons
- Nicki Minaj will open the MTV VMAs on Sunday
- Miley Cyrus addresses Nicki Minaj's VMAs comments in new interview
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Miley Cyrus, Taylor & Selena, The Voice Crew & More!