A lot of blood gets spilled in David Cronenberg’s precisely made, often heartbreaking quasi-thriller, Eastern Promises, set amid London’s sordid sex trade. After a second viewing, the gore seems less Cronenbergian shtick than an appropriate mirroring of the Russian Mob’s brutality. Also, a potentially gimmicky plot twist involving Nikolai (a flawless Viggo Mortensen) recasts the impenetrable character as a rich enigma. EXTRAS Two making-of docs — the better of which details the creation of Mortensen’s tattoos — can’t compensate for the lack of commentary from Cronenberg.
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Drama; Starring: Viggo Mortensen, Naomi Watts, Vincent Cassel; Director: David Cronenberg; Author: Steven Knight; Release Date Limited: 09/14/2007; Release Date Wide: 09/21/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 100; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Focus Features
Posted January 11 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- See the fiery opening title sequence for 'The Shannara Chronicles'
- Daniel Radcliffe is jealous of Eddie Redmayne's 'Fantastic Beasts' costume
- Ron Howard set to direct thriller 'The Girl Before'
- Ice-T and Coco welcome daughter Chanel Nicole
- John Stamos shares high school prom throwback photo
- Chris Miller shares an update on 'The Lego Movie' sequel
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' director reveals early design for Star-Lord's mask