In 1844, 16-year-old Elisha Stone joins a team bound for Michigan’s Upper Peninsula — a surveyor seeking iron, a scholar hunting for Chippewa artifacts, and their ”half-breed” guide, Susette, with whom the boy tries his own explorations (”She tasted of whiskey and salt. Elisha felt as though he was falling”). Meanwhile, Elisha’s minister father travels from Massachusetts to tell his son of his mother’s death, and encounters spiritualists and doomsday cultists. Karl Iagnemma’s prose glides confidently in The Expeditions, but his schematic plotting — the double quest, the clockwork betrayals — makes the wilderness look horribly tidy. B
The Expeditions In 1844, 16-year-old Elisha Stone joins a team bound for Michigan's Upper Peninsula — a surveyor seeking iron, a scholar hunting for Chippewa ...The ExpeditionsHistory, FictionKarl Iagnemma In 1844, 16-year-old Elisha Stone joins a team bound for Michigan's Upper Peninsula — a surveyor seeking iron, a scholar hunting for Chippewa ...2008-01-11Dial Press
Genre: History, Fiction; Author: Karl Iagnemma; Publisher: Dial Press
Posted January 11 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- And the Oscar producing gig goes to...
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: tWitch on Team Street's best exit
- 'Daily Show with Trevor Noah' promo previews a few changes with new host
- See T-Pain sing the national anthem at a Dodgers game
- Sam Smith loves Hozier's cover of 'Lay Me Down'
- David Tennant helps remix Shakespeare with hip-hop in app
- Saoirse Ronan struggles with homesickness in the first clip from 'Brooklyn'
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!