(FROM HOLLYWOOD REPORTER) ? Sharon Leal, who played Michelle Morris in Dreamgirls, has been cast as the female lead in Dimension Films music-themed comedy Soul Men, which is being directed by Malcolm D. Lee (Undercover Brother). The story is about two estranged back-up singers for a famous soul group who reunite for a memorial concert in honor of their recently-deceased former lead singer. Samuel Jackson and Bernie Mac have been cast as the back-up singers, and Leal will play Jackson’s daughter, who eventually becomes a singer in the band. In addition to Dreamgirls, Leal’s other projects include Tyler Perry’s Why Did I Get Married? and This Christmas. (Hollywood Reporter)
Posted January 17 2015 — 9:14 AM EST
- Kevin Hart to receive Comedic Genius Award at MTV Movie Awards
- Weinstein Company acquires Matthew McConaughey-starring 'Gold'
- David Beckham stars in a new underwear ad... with James Corden?
- Colin Trevorrow to direct 'Book of Henry' following 'Jurassic World' release
- Michelle Obama to appear on 'The Tonight Show'
- Listen to EW's Sirius XM spotlight on the women of comedy, featuring Kristen Schaal
- De La Soul to fund new album via Kickstarter
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Blake Shelton, Destiny's Child, Claire & Don and More!