(FROM VARIETY) ? The U.K. film Atonement leads all nominees for the British Academy Film Awards, earning 14 nods, including best film, best British film, best director for Joe Wright, and actor nominations for James McAvoy, Keira Knightley, and Saoirse Ronan. No Country For Old Men and There Will Be Blood both received nine nominations, including best film and best director for Joel and Ethan Coen and Paul Thomas Anderson, respectively. Blood’s Daniel Day-Lewis also got a best actor nomination, while No Country’s Javier Bardem and Tommy Lee Jones are both up for best supporting actor. American Gangster and The Lives of Others, each of which received five nominations, round out the best film list. Cate Blanchett pulled another nomination two-fer, earning a supporting nod for I’m Not There and a lead actress nomination for Elizabeth: The Golden Age. Sean Penn’s Into the Wild and James Mangold’s 3:10 to Yuma were completely shut out. (Variety)
Posted January 18 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- Marvin Kaplan, 'Alice' and 'Top Cat' actor, dies at 89
- Kanye West's Saint Pablo Tour has a flying stage
- 'American Horror Story' teaser channels 'Children of the Corn'
- Mayim Bialik, Marcie Leeds recreate their 'Beaches' opening scene
- Demi Moore joins R-rated comedy 'Rock That Body'
- Reese Witherspoon is 'thinking about’ another 'Legally Blonde' sequel
- Academy head on 'Birth of a Nation': People need to judge the movie