(FROM VARIETY) ? Charlize Theron will appear opposite Viggo Mortensen in 2929 Entertainment’s movie adaptation of Cormac McCarty’s post-apocalyptic novel The Road. The story is about a man (Mortensen) traveling down a road with his son, dodging hazards that include starvation and cannibal attacks, after a disaster has destroyed civilization. Theron has been cast as Mortensen’s wife, who will be seen primarily through flashbacks. It is a small part, but the actress took the role because she is a big fan of the book. Australian director John Hillcoat (The Proposition) will helm the project from a screenplay by Joe Penhall. Shooting is scheduled to start next month. Theron is currently shooting The Burning Plain for 2929 Entertainment, and she recently finished work on Hancock, opposite Will Smith, and the indie drama Sleepwalking, which she produced. The Coen Brothers’ adaptation of McCarthy’s novel No Country For Old Men is currently in theaters. (Variety)
Posted January 18 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- TV legend Norman Lear gives 6 strong opinions about American life
- 'Downton Abbey' cast on saying goodbye: 'We didn't want to leave'
- Zayn Malik congratulates One Direction on their ’sick’ new single
- Dr. Dre's new album, 'Compton,' coming Aug. 7
- 'Ghostbusters' cast surprises patients at Boston children's hospital
- Chris Pratt, James Gunn mark 'Guardians of the Galaxy's one-year anniversary
- Kelly Clarkson crushes cover of Miley Cyrus' ‘Wrecking Ball’
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- FKA Twigs, Adrian Grenier, Bethenny Frankel and More!