(FROM VARIETY) ? Charlize Theron will appear opposite Viggo Mortensen in 2929 Entertainment’s movie adaptation of Cormac McCarty’s post-apocalyptic novel The Road. The story is about a man (Mortensen) traveling down a road with his son, dodging hazards that include starvation and cannibal attacks, after a disaster has destroyed civilization. Theron has been cast as Mortensen’s wife, who will be seen primarily through flashbacks. It is a small part, but the actress took the role because she is a big fan of the book. Australian director John Hillcoat (The Proposition) will helm the project from a screenplay by Joe Penhall. Shooting is scheduled to start next month. Theron is currently shooting The Burning Plain for 2929 Entertainment, and she recently finished work on Hancock, opposite Will Smith, and the indie drama Sleepwalking, which she produced. The Coen Brothers’ adaptation of McCarthy’s novel No Country For Old Men is currently in theaters. (Variety)
Posted January 18 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- Kanye West announces new album title
- 'SNL' react: Your quick take on Dakota Johnson and Alabama Shakes?
- 'Parks and Rec': On set for the final day
- John Green's 'Alaska' scriptwriters set
- Craig Ferguson set for ABC comedy pilot
- Will Smith back in 'Focus': What critics said
- 'The Red Road's Jason Momoa on season 2 and when we can expect Aquaman in action
- 20 TV series that nailed it with their very first scenes
- 'Last Man on Earth' guys salute inspirations
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Susan Sarandon, Prince William and More!