As the result of a deal with Discovery Communications, Oprah Winfrey will be getting her own network next year on what is currently the Discovery Health Channel. OWN: The Oprah Winfrey Network is being described as a ”multi-platform media venture” that will ”entertain, inform, and inspire people to live their best lives.” The channel will debut in 2009 in about 70 million homes and also include the digital platform, Oprah.com. As part of the cashless transaction, Winfrey has been named chairman of the network and will be responsible for programming, branding, and creative vision. ”Fifteen years ago, I wrote in my journal that one day I would create a television network, as I always felt my show was just the beginning of what the future could hold,” Winfrey said. ”For me, the launch of The Oprah Winfrey Network is the evolution of the work I?ve been doing on television all these years and a natural extension of my show.” Winfrey’s current talk show, as well as rights to use of reruns, is spoken for until the end of the 2010-11 season, according to the Associated Press.
Posted January 18 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- Kelly Rowland at Essence Fest previews BET series to find next great girl group
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Michael Douglas' mother dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!