As the result of a deal with Discovery Communications, Oprah Winfrey will be getting her own network next year on what is currently the Discovery Health Channel. OWN: The Oprah Winfrey Network is being described as a ”multi-platform media venture” that will ”entertain, inform, and inspire people to live their best lives.” The channel will debut in 2009 in about 70 million homes and also include the digital platform, Oprah.com. As part of the cashless transaction, Winfrey has been named chairman of the network and will be responsible for programming, branding, and creative vision. ”Fifteen years ago, I wrote in my journal that one day I would create a television network, as I always felt my show was just the beginning of what the future could hold,” Winfrey said. ”For me, the launch of The Oprah Winfrey Network is the evolution of the work I?ve been doing on television all these years and a natural extension of my show.” Winfrey’s current talk show, as well as rights to use of reruns, is spoken for until the end of the 2010-11 season, according to the Associated Press.
Posted January 18 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- New 'Luther' trailer asks: 'You scared of me?'
- Drake: 'I'd do anything with Adele' — including a 'Hotline Bling' remix
- National Dog Show names Charlie the Skye terrier its Best in Show
- CBS will air two Super Bowl commercial specials before 'Super Bowl 50'
- Amy Schumer, Mindy Kaling, and more celebs give thanks on social media
- Highlights from the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade
- Adele's '25' surges past 3 million in sales in the U.S.