(FROM AP) — Allan Melvin, the jolly character actor best known for playing Sam the Butcher on The Brady Bunch, has died at age 84. He succumbed to cancer on Thursday at his home in Los Angeles. In a four-decade career, the New York-bred Broadway veteran appeared, usually as a cuddly lug of a sidekick, in a wide range of TV comedies, including All in the Family, Archie Bunker’s Place, The Phil Silvers Show, The Dick Van Dyke Show, and The Andy Griffith Show. He also voiced the Hanna-Barbera character Magilla Gorilla, and participated in several installments of The Flintstones. Melvin’s lasting impression, however, came from his multiple-episode stint on The Brady Bunch in the early 1970s. As Sam Franklin, he was the bowling-loving butcher boyfriend of housekeeper Alice (Ann B. Davis), as well as the family’s unofficial 10th member. Melvin stayed busy as a voice actor and occasional guest star, primarily on children’s programs, well into the 1990s. (AP via Yahoo!)
Posted January 23 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- Gallery Books to publish an investigative book about Whitney Houston and Bobbi Kristina
- Michael Gambon to play Winston Churchill in new TV project
- Johnny Depp could face jail time for illegally bringing dogs to Australia
- Jake Owen shifts gears on infectious new single, talks 'funkier' new album
- Jon Stewart helps Iraq War veterans find jobs in TV
- Queen Latifah channels LL Cool J for her 'Lip Sync Battle' performance
- Katharine McPhee drops catchy comeback single 'Lick My Lips'
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Bryce & Chris, Karlie Kloss, Tony & Gaga and More!