(FROM AP) — Allan Melvin, the jolly character actor best known for playing Sam the Butcher on The Brady Bunch, has died at age 84. He succumbed to cancer on Thursday at his home in Los Angeles. In a four-decade career, the New York-bred Broadway veteran appeared, usually as a cuddly lug of a sidekick, in a wide range of TV comedies, including All in the Family, Archie Bunker’s Place, The Phil Silvers Show, The Dick Van Dyke Show, and The Andy Griffith Show. He also voiced the Hanna-Barbera character Magilla Gorilla, and participated in several installments of The Flintstones. Melvin’s lasting impression, however, came from his multiple-episode stint on The Brady Bunch in the early 1970s. As Sam Franklin, he was the bowling-loving butcher boyfriend of housekeeper Alice (Ann B. Davis), as well as the family’s unofficial 10th member. Melvin stayed busy as a voice actor and occasional guest star, primarily on children’s programs, well into the 1990s. (AP via Yahoo!)
Posted January 23 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- Kelly Rowland at Essence Fest previews BET series to find next great girl group
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Michael Douglas' mother dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!