For his new novel, The Anatomy of Deception, Lawrence Goldstone invents an agreeable young hero, Dr. Ephraim Carroll, and plunks him into a murder mystery in 1889 Philadelphia that shows nearly every scrap of the author’s copious research. The story is packed with historical asides (the introduction of surgical gloves, as well as aspirin) and real-life figures, from artist Thomas Eakins to medical pioneers like William Stewart Halsted, a surgeon who became a cocaine addict. But Goldstone, coauthor of several nonfiction books, saddles his characters with dialogue as wooden as a hansom carriage. The result is less Eakins, more paint-by-numbers. B
The Anatomy of Deception For his new novel, The Anatomy of Deception, Lawrence Goldstone invents an agreeable young hero, Dr. Ephraim Carroll, and plunks him...The Anatomy of DeceptionFiction, Mystery and ThrillerLawrence Goldstone For his new novel, The Anatomy of Deception, Lawrence Goldstone invents an agreeable young hero, Dr. Ephraim Carroll, and plunks him...2008-01-25Delacorte
Genre: Fiction, Mystery and Thriller; Author: Lawrence Goldstone; Publisher: Delacorte
Posted January 17 2015 — 9:14 AM EST
- 'Inside Out' clip: Joy has a special job for Sadness on the first day at a new school
- Host Luke Bryan on the ACM Awards' big stage: 'Certain people just really perform when the moment comes'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!