The Nines, John August’s directorial debut, melds the surrealism of Adaptation and the metaphysics of Donnie Darko. The overlapping three-act tale of a disoriented man (Reynolds) who might be a junkie, a videogame guru, or God himself is fascinatingly ambitious but ultimately perplexing. EXTRAS Even August, the screenwriter behind Go and Big Fish, struggles to untangle his script’s knots during two audio commentaries. His 11-minute 1998 short, God, serves as an inspirational seed…and it’s as close to an explanation as you’ll get for this tantalizing, infuriating trip. B-
The Nines The Nines, John August's directorial debut, melds the surrealism of Adaptation and the metaphysics of Donnie Darko....The NinesMystery and Thriller, HorrorJohn AugustPT99MR The Nines, John August's directorial debut, melds the surrealism of Adaptation and the metaphysics of Donnie Darko....2008-01-25Melissa McCarthyNew Market Films
Genre: Mystery and Thriller, Horror; Starring: Hope Davis, Ryan Reynolds, Melissa McCarthy; Director: John August; Author: John August; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: New Market Films
Posted January 17 2015 — 9:14 AM EST
- Louis. C.K. plays Mayor Bill de Blasio's anger translator at Inner Circle dinner
- John Oliver wants you to ignore April Fools' Day
- 'Game of Thrones' actress Maisie Williams going to 'Doctor Who'
- Exclusive: Flo Rida drops breezy, Robin Thicke-featuring "I Don't Like It, I Love It"
- Justin Timberlake pretends to pull a Kanye on Taylor Swift at iHeartRadio Awards
- 'Jurassic World' TV spot: Making new dinos is still a bad idea
- iHeartRadio Music Awards 2015: Our 5 favorite moments
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Justin Theroux, Josh Gad, Kristen Stewart & More!