She move good! The specificity of Caribbean-Canadian life in a low-income, multiethnic Toronto neighborhood gives How She Move, a pleasantly conventional story of striving and step dancing, its flavor. Plus, the moves — more gymnastically hybrid than those in Stomp the Yard — are fierce, especially as set to a pounding soundtrack by Missy Elliott and Busta Rhymes, among others. Rutina Wesley glowers with just the right touch of sweetness as a brainy student (and stellar after-school stepper) who needs to learn how to honor her old hood even as she studies hard to move on out. B+
Genre: Drama; Starring: Tre Armstrong, Rutina Wesley; Director: Ian Iqbal Rashid; Author: Annmarie Morais; Release Date Wide: 01/25/2008; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): In Season; MPAA Rating: In Season; Distributor: Paramount Vantage
Posted January 28 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney to intro its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters