Good news for those folks (including me) rooting for “Falling Slowly” from Once to win the Best Song Oscar: in the dispute over the song’s eligibility, the Academy has ruled in its favor. There was some confusion over whether the song was actually conceived for the film, since stars Glen Hansard (pictured) and Markéta Irglová both released versions of it on disc before the movie came out. Nonetheless the Academy has determined that the song was indeed composed for the movie, which was in the works before the recordings were released. Bottom line: the song won’t be disqualified, like so much other good movie music that didn’t make the cut this year.
Posted January 30 2008 — 4:29 PM EST
- 'Caraoke Showdown' upgraded to 10 episodes
- TBS apologizes to Hillary Clinton for hyena video
- 'Blindspot' pits Jane vs Weller in deleted season 1 scene — exclusive
- Lennie James joins 'Blade Runner' sequel
- Beyoncé thought Denis Leary was Bryan Adams: 'Beyoncé makes the call'
- Grading the week's best (and worst) singles
- Watch the new trailer for 'Office Christmas Party'