(FROM HOLLYWOOD REPORTER) ? New Line Entertainment is in talks with Platinum Dunes for a revival of the Nightmare on Elm Street franchise, which starred Robert Englund as the murderous, razor-fingered Freddy Krueger, one of the best-known horror movie villains in history. The original Nightmare, written and directed by Wes Craven, debuted in 1984 and starred Heather Langenkamp and Johnny Depp. The story was about a serial child killer who was hunted down and killed by parents only to return with a horribly burned face and begin murdering their children again in their dreams. The hit movie went on to spawn numerous sequels as well as 2003’s Friday the 13th-meets-Nightmare horror hybrid, Freddy vs. Jason. New Line partners Michael Bay, Brad Fuller, and Andrew Form, who are producing the Nightmare revival, will set a writer on the project once the writers’ strike ends. New Line and Platinum Dunes are also working on a new Friday the 13th movie, which Marcus Nispel is set to direct. Nispel directed both of New Line/Platinum Dunes’ Texas Chainsaw Massacre revival movies. (Hollywood Reporter)
Posted February 1 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Supernatural': Jensen Ackles talks season 11's female big bad
- See the Foo Fighters rock out with Blues Traveler's John Popper
- Hootie explains how he got name-checked in 'Mo Money Mo Problems'
- 9 little-known facts about Rihanna's first album
- Faith-based drama in tight race with 'Straight Outta Compton' at box office
- Liam Payne turns 22! See his most GIF-able moments
- Venice Film Festival premiere of star-studded Martin Scorsese short canceled
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Darius Rucker, Paris Hilton, Nick & Pharrell and More!