This spoof of 300 takes aim at the homoerotic vibe exuded by the ancient-Greece epic while anachronistically lampooning Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, and a raft of other pop culture notables. Sean Maguire and Carmen Electra hand in game performances, but script-wise, the result in Meet the Spartans is less classic Mel Brooks than middling Best Week Ever. And despite the film’s swift production, some of the jokes seem dated. In particular, younger cinemagoers may need to have explained to them who this ”Sanjaya” character was. C+
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Carmen Electra, Sean Maguire, Kevin Sorbo; Director: Jason Friedberg, Aaron Seltzer; Author: Jason Friedberg, Aaron Seltzer; Release Date Wide: 01/25/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 83; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted February 6 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Star Wars' Live-stream with the cast of 'Rogue One'
- 'Supernatural' writer reveals 'Smallville' crossover that never happened
- 'Star Trek: Discovery': Bryan Fuller says he won't be involved
- '22 Jump Street' writer to pen spinoff about female cops
- 'Into the Badlands' season 2: Nick Frost joins martial arts drama
- Why Lynda Carter wasn't the Earth-1 POTUS of the Arrowverse
- WATCH: 'Rogue One' star Diego Luna describes meeting Darth Vader
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday
- 12 Stars Who Are EGOT Winners
- 10 Celebs Who Appeared on 'Star Search' Before They Made It Big