This spoof of 300 takes aim at the homoerotic vibe exuded by the ancient-Greece epic while anachronistically lampooning Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, and a raft of other pop culture notables. Sean Maguire and Carmen Electra hand in game performances, but script-wise, the result in Meet the Spartans is less classic Mel Brooks than middling Best Week Ever. And despite the film’s swift production, some of the jokes seem dated. In particular, younger cinemagoers may need to have explained to them who this ”Sanjaya” character was. C+
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Carmen Electra, Sean Maguire, Kevin Sorbo; Director: Jason Friedberg, Aaron Seltzer; Author: Jason Friedberg, Aaron Seltzer; Release Date Wide: 01/25/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 83; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted February 6 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- DNC: Chelsea Clinton references 'A Wrinkle in Time,' 'Police Academy'
- Hillary Clinton quotes 'Hamilton,' slams Trump in rousing DNC speech
- Twitter reacts to Morgan Freeman-narrated Hillary Clinton doc
- 'The Voice': Bette Midler serving as mentor for Team Blake
- Shonda Rhimes on Hillary Clinton DNC film: 'I didn't have to add a plot twist!'
- Katy Perry performs 'Rise,' 'Roar' at DNC for Hillary Clinton
- Chloë Grace Moretz urges millennials to vote Hillary at DNC