This spoof of 300 takes aim at the homoerotic vibe exuded by the ancient-Greece epic while anachronistically lampooning Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, and a raft of other pop culture notables. Sean Maguire and Carmen Electra hand in game performances, but script-wise, the result in Meet the Spartans is less classic Mel Brooks than middling Best Week Ever. And despite the film’s swift production, some of the jokes seem dated. In particular, younger cinemagoers may need to have explained to them who this ”Sanjaya” character was. C+
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Carmen Electra, Sean Maguire, Kevin Sorbo; Director: Jason Friedberg, Aaron Seltzer; Author: Jason Friedberg, Aaron Seltzer; Release Date Wide: 01/25/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 83; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted February 6 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- Constance Wu of 'Fresh Off the Boat' opens up about the show's controversial start
- Bill Cosby accuser from 2005 lawsuit comes forward
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Modest Mouse share 'Of Course We Know,' announce tour dates
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt
- EW recommends: iZombie, Eloise, and Fun Home
- 'Agents of SHIELD': How it'll dive into Skye's story and the 'birth of a superhero'