This spoof of 300 takes aim at the homoerotic vibe exuded by the ancient-Greece epic while anachronistically lampooning Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, and a raft of other pop culture notables. Sean Maguire and Carmen Electra hand in game performances, but script-wise, the result in Meet the Spartans is less classic Mel Brooks than middling Best Week Ever. And despite the film’s swift production, some of the jokes seem dated. In particular, younger cinemagoers may need to have explained to them who this ”Sanjaya” character was. C+
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Carmen Electra, Sean Maguire, Kevin Sorbo; Director: Jason Friedberg, Aaron Seltzer; Author: Jason Friedberg, Aaron Seltzer; Release Date Wide: 01/25/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 83; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted February 6 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- See 'Warcraft,' 'Independence Day' toys ahead of Toy Fair 2016
- Kylie Jenner has been filming her own soap opera on Snapchat
- 'Agent Carter' in jeopardy? Hayley Atwell cast in new ABC pilot
- Can you match the movie quote to the romantic love story?
- Hayley Atwell cast in 'Conviction' pilot at ABC
- 'Star Wars': Phallic toys prompt Target apology, snickers
- EXCLUSIVE VIDEO: See SpongeBob SquarePants step out in long pants
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996
- 'Beautiful Girls': Where Are They Now?
- 15 Musicians Who Banned Candidates From Using Their Songs
- See '90s Stars at the 1996 'Broken Arrow' Premiere
- 35 Tom Hiddleston Photos For His 35th Birthday