This spoof of 300 takes aim at the homoerotic vibe exuded by the ancient-Greece epic while anachronistically lampooning Britney Spears, Lindsay Lohan, and a raft of other pop culture notables. Sean Maguire and Carmen Electra hand in game performances, but script-wise, the result in Meet the Spartans is less classic Mel Brooks than middling Best Week Ever. And despite the film’s swift production, some of the jokes seem dated. In particular, younger cinemagoers may need to have explained to them who this ”Sanjaya” character was. C+
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Carmen Electra, Sean Maguire, Kevin Sorbo; Director: Jason Friedberg, Aaron Seltzer; Author: Jason Friedberg, Aaron Seltzer; Release Date Wide: 01/25/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 83; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted February 6 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Jack Reacher 2' starring Tom Cruise gets a release date
- Stan Lee says 'Fantastic Four' flopped because he didn’t have a cameo
- Dean Jones, The Love Bug and That Darn Cat actor, dies at 84
- 'Wildest Dreams' director responds to allegations of colonialism in Taylor Swift video
- How the new Oscar producers plan to change the show (and make it shorter)
- 'Batmetal Returns' to cover Dethklok, and destroy some of your favorite cartoon characters
- Cute 10-year-old girl stymies NFL stars with great questions
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- The A List Ladies, Jake Gyllenhaal, Anna & Jane and More!