Lonely young women are at the center of these three sparse, sometimes overly subdued novellas in The Diving Pool, translated from Japanese by Stephen Snyder. The three heroines are all placed in situations beyond their control — an unrequited crush on a foster brother, a sister?s difficult pregnancy, an imminent move to another country — and Yoko Ogawa evokes an acute sense of ache and isolation in each. Instead of sitting idly by, the women act out against their circumstances in subtle and sinister ways, shaking these seemingly complacent tales into something far more twisted and unsettling. B
The Diving PoolLonely young women are at the center of these three sparse, sometimes overly subdued novellas in The Diving Pool, translated from...The Diving PoolFictionYoko OgawaLonely young women are at the center of these three sparse, sometimes overly subdued novellas in The Diving Pool, translated from...2008-02-08Picador USA
Genre: Fiction; Author: Yoko Ogawa; Publisher: Picador USA
Posted February 8 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- President Bill Clinton to appear on 'StarTalk' season 2 premiere
- Graceland sneak peek: Paige is going undercover with the Sarkissians
- Joffrey comments on violence against women on 'Game of Thrones'
- Zayn Malik signs with RCA, says he 'left' 1D to 'show you who I really am'
- Cat Power will narrate the Janis Joplin documentary 'Janis'
- Niles Rodgers talks making 'cool as s--t' music with Beck
- Brie Larson's 'Room' gets October release date
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Tyra Banks, The Madden Bros., Taylor Schilling & More!