Jasper Dean, a twentysomething rotting in an Australian detention center, has plenty of time to reflect on the ”hideous odyssey” of his upbringing. His overbearing (and recently deceased) single dad hatched half-baked schemes that led the pair from a strip club to a maze-ridden house in the Australian bush to the jungles of Thailand. Jasper’s conflicted memories of his dad — told in rollicking, stream-of-consciousness prose — skitter through the novel’s 530 pages. But in Steve Toltz’s A Fraction of the Whole, sometimes Jasper is laugh-out-loud funny. But just as often, his recollections are too dense and long-winded to penetrate. B
A Fraction of the Whole Jasper Dean, a twentysomething rotting in an Australian detention center, has plenty of time to reflect on the ''hideous odyssey'' of his upbringing....A Fraction of the WholeAction/Adventure, FictionSteve Toltz Jasper Dean, a twentysomething rotting in an Australian detention center, has plenty of time to reflect on the ''hideous odyssey'' of his upbringing....2008-02-08Spiegel & Grau
Genre: Action/Adventure, Fiction; Author: Steve Toltz; Publisher: Spiegel & Grau
Posted February 8 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- A$AP Rocky and Schoolboy Q shock with 'Electric Body'
- Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen aren't returning for Netflix's 'Fuller House'
- Two more (unofficial) Drake songs leak, including Tinashe collaboration
- Bask in '90s nostalgia with this a ca-mazing 'Boy Meets World' medley
- Michael B. Jordan: Why I’m Torching the color line in 'Fantastic Four'
- Jon Bon Jovi wrote a new song for Rutgers' class of 2015
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion (so far)
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Ellie Kemper, more faces of the 2015 Webby Awards
- Summer Music Preview 2015: 10 hottest tours
- George Clooney, Meghan Trainor, Pharrell & Zoë and More!