Director Sidney Lumet called The Wiz a disaster, and he’ll get no argument: Whatever fun this funked-up Wizard of Oz had on Broadway is erased by miscasting and a hideous design (Oz as a New York slum). Diana Ross’ Dorothy is an emotional basket case; Michael Jackson has none of the Scarecrow’s requisite aw-shucks charm. EXTRAS A late-’70s promo (producer Rob Cohen says this modest pic got super-sized when Ross came on); an eight-song CD, which inexcusably excludes ”Believe in Yourself,” Lena Horne’s showstopper as Glinda. D-
Starring: Michael Jackson, Nipsey Russell, Diana Ross, Ted Ross; Starring: Mabel King, Lena Horne, Richard Pryor; Director: Sidney Lumet; Status: In Season
Posted February 8 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Descendants' react: Did the tale about junior Disney villains cast a spell?
- Andre 3000 joins ABC's 'American Crime'
- Casting Net: Gary Oldman joins space love story
- Josh Gad wraps 'Beauty and the Beast' filming, shares pic
- Remembering Roddy Piper's rowdy film career
- Why 'The Tribe' is the perfect videogame movie
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' producers offer hints about the show's timeline
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Amy Poehler, Justin Theroux, Rihanna & More!