Director Sidney Lumet called The Wiz a disaster, and he’ll get no argument: Whatever fun this funked-up Wizard of Oz had on Broadway is erased by miscasting and a hideous design (Oz as a New York slum). Diana Ross’ Dorothy is an emotional basket case; Michael Jackson has none of the Scarecrow’s requisite aw-shucks charm. EXTRAS A late-’70s promo (producer Rob Cohen says this modest pic got super-sized when Ross came on); an eight-song CD, which inexcusably excludes ”Believe in Yourself,” Lena Horne’s showstopper as Glinda. D-
Starring: Michael Jackson, Nipsey Russell, Diana Ross, Ted Ross; Starring: Mabel King, Lena Horne, Richard Pryor; Director: Sidney Lumet
Posted February 8 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- See the new trailer for 'Paper Towns' right now
- Twisted Sister documentary acquired by Music Box Films
- Gillian Anderson-led 'Streetcar Named Desire' coming to New York
- Watch the trailer for HBO's 'Larry Kramer in Love & Anger'
- Sir Ian McKellen on coming out: 'I became not just a happier person, but a better actor'
- Suspect arrested in Lil Wayne tour bus shooting
- Heavy metal fans are the most loyal, Spotify says