Director Sidney Lumet called The Wiz a disaster, and he’ll get no argument: Whatever fun this funked-up Wizard of Oz had on Broadway is erased by miscasting and a hideous design (Oz as a New York slum). Diana Ross’ Dorothy is an emotional basket case; Michael Jackson has none of the Scarecrow’s requisite aw-shucks charm. EXTRAS A late-’70s promo (producer Rob Cohen says this modest pic got super-sized when Ross came on); an eight-song CD, which inexcusably excludes ”Believe in Yourself,” Lena Horne’s showstopper as Glinda. D-
Starring: Michael Jackson, Nipsey Russell, Diana Ross, Ted Ross; Starring: Mabel King, Lena Horne, Richard Pryor; Director: Sidney Lumet
Posted January 17 2015 — 9:14 AM EST
- 'You're the Worst' casts former 'Office' actor for season 2
- 'Suicide Squad': Who's who in the new cast photo
- EW's 2015 Baby Power List: Princess Charlotte debuts at...?
- Charlize Theron on going bald for 'Mad Max'
- Jaden Smith deletes his Twitter
- Domhnall Gleeson talks 'Star Wars' while playing 'Star Wars'
- Match these 'Star Wars' characters with their home worlds
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Britney Spears, Orlando Bloom, Solange & More!