Director Sidney Lumet called The Wiz a disaster, and he’ll get no argument: Whatever fun this funked-up Wizard of Oz had on Broadway is erased by miscasting and a hideous design (Oz as a New York slum). Diana Ross’ Dorothy is an emotional basket case; Michael Jackson has none of the Scarecrow’s requisite aw-shucks charm. EXTRAS A late-’70s promo (producer Rob Cohen says this modest pic got super-sized when Ross came on); an eight-song CD, which inexcusably excludes ”Believe in Yourself,” Lena Horne’s showstopper as Glinda. D-
Starring: Michael Jackson, Nipsey Russell, Diana Ross, Ted Ross; Starring: Mabel King, Lena Horne, Richard Pryor; Director: Sidney Lumet
Posted February 8 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- Kelly Rowland at Essence Fest previews BET series to find next great girl group
- The Nathan's Hot Dog Eating contest crowned a new champion on July 4
- Michael Douglas' mother dies at 92
- Hello Kitty movie targeted for 2019
- 'Suicide Squad' on-set photo: Harley Quinn birthday cake for Margot Robbie
- Caitlyn Jenner 'proud to be an American'
- Lil Wayne: 'Free Weezy Album' on Tidal
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Garcelle Beauvais, Kylie Jenner, Serena Williams & More!