Director Sidney Lumet called The Wiz a disaster, and he’ll get no argument: Whatever fun this funked-up Wizard of Oz had on Broadway is erased by miscasting and a hideous design (Oz as a New York slum). Diana Ross’ Dorothy is an emotional basket case; Michael Jackson has none of the Scarecrow’s requisite aw-shucks charm. EXTRAS A late-’70s promo (producer Rob Cohen says this modest pic got super-sized when Ross came on); an eight-song CD, which inexcusably excludes ”Believe in Yourself,” Lena Horne’s showstopper as Glinda. D-
Starring: Michael Jackson, Nipsey Russell, Diana Ross, Ted Ross; Starring: Mabel King, Lena Horne, Richard Pryor; Director: Sidney Lumet
Posted February 8 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'This Is Us' star on tonight's ep: 'We meet Jack in the present day'
- Chris Martin sings with kids Apple and Moses at charity event
- Watch the trailer for 'I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House'
- Michael Phelps brings his Phelps Face to new 'Call of Duty' trailer
- ABC cuts 'Notorious' order, possibly first canceled show
- Pussy Riot debut celebratory anthem 'Straight Outta Vagina'
- Watch the 'X-Men 2' trailer recut in the style of 'Logan'