In a sequel that features the original’s Channing Tatum only in cameo, a Baltimore teen (Briana Evigan, very winning) enrolls at an arts academy, leaving her street-dancing pals behind. So far, ho hum. But when she decides to form a new crew with her classmates, Step Up 2 the Streets improves considerably — and it doesn’t skimp on cool pretzel moves. Never mind that the movie heedlessly asks you to cheer against the less white, less privileged street kids. (Okay, mind a little.) B-
Starring: Briana Evigan, Robert Hoffman; Director: Jon M. Chu; Author: Karen Barna, Toni Ann Johnson; Release Date Wide: 02/14/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 98; MPAA Rating: PG-13; Distributor: Buena Vista Pictures
Posted February 13 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- CW sets premiere dates for 'Containment,' 'Beauty and the Beast'
- EW Staff Picks: Which other TV shows deserve the reboot/revival treatment?
- 'Master of None' renewed for season 2, coming 2017
- 'Roots' remake gets intense first trailer
- How 'Street Fighter V' will be 'the dominant fighting game of this generation'
- Kanye West reveals album cover for 'The Life of Pablo'
- Check out the new Maz Kanata 'Star Wars' action figure
- Burt Reynolds Through the Years
- 'The Walking Dead’: Exclusive EW Portraits
- Exclusive Look at 'The Walking Dead' Midseason Return
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996