(FROM VARIETY) ? Beyonce Knowles has signed on to star in and executive produce the upcoming Sony BMG Films 1950s period movie Cadillac Records. Beyonce will play blues singer Etta James in the film, about the seminal Chicago record label Chess Records and its founder, Leonard Chess, who started out selling albums out of his Cadillac. James, Muddy Waters, Howlin’ Wolf, and Chuck Berry are among the legends who recorded on Chess. Darnell Martin (Their Eyes Were Watching God) is directing and also wrote the screenplay. Adrien Brody has already been cast as Chess, and Jeffrey Wright (Waters), Cedric the Entertainer (Willie Dixon), and Columbus Short (Little Walter) are also on board. Beyonce, who will also record four songs for the movie’s soundtrack, will donate a portion of her fees to recovering addicts through her family’s charity the Survivor Foundation. The singer-actress previously starred in Austin Powers in Goldmember and earned a Golden Globe nomination for 2006’s Dreamgirls. Her song ”Irreplaceable” earned a record of the year Grammy nod this year. (Hollywood Reporter)
Posted February 20 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- Al Pacino and Melanie Griffith join Where the White Man Runs Away
- Lamar Odom makes first public appearance since hospitalization
- Luke's daughter, April, and Mrs. Kim are back for 'Gilmore Girls'
- Kevin Bacon has a creepy kid in the trailer for horror movie 'The Darkness'
- Russell Simmons, Tony Rock to present All Def Movie Awards
- Everything you missed from Kanye West's 'TLOP' premiere
- 'Frozen' musical selects city for world premiere before Broadway
- Check out the new Maz Kanata 'Star Wars' action figure
- Burt Reynolds Through the Years
- 'The Walking Dead’: Exclusive EW Portraits
- Exclusive Look at 'The Walking Dead' Midseason Return
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996