(FROM VARIETY) ? Beyonce Knowles has signed on to star in and executive produce the upcoming Sony BMG Films 1950s period movie Cadillac Records. Beyonce will play blues singer Etta James in the film, about the seminal Chicago record label Chess Records and its founder, Leonard Chess, who started out selling albums out of his Cadillac. James, Muddy Waters, Howlin’ Wolf, and Chuck Berry are among the legends who recorded on Chess. Darnell Martin (Their Eyes Were Watching God) is directing and also wrote the screenplay. Adrien Brody has already been cast as Chess, and Jeffrey Wright (Waters), Cedric the Entertainer (Willie Dixon), and Columbus Short (Little Walter) are also on board. Beyonce, who will also record four songs for the movie’s soundtrack, will donate a portion of her fees to recovering addicts through her family’s charity the Survivor Foundation. The singer-actress previously starred in Austin Powers in Goldmember and earned a Golden Globe nomination for 2006’s Dreamgirls. Her song ”Irreplaceable” earned a record of the year Grammy nod this year. (Hollywood Reporter)
Posted February 20 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Quantico' postmortem: Who's gone from the Academy?
- 'Walking Dead' prologue scene sets up Negan, second half of season 6
- 'The Walking Dead': Did the midseason finale satisfy?
- See My Morning Jacket cover Eagles of Death Metal
- Sinead O’Connor found safe after posting that she had ‘taken an overdose'
- See Tracee Ellis Ross perform on stage with mom Diana Ross
- John Legend serenades Chrissy Teigen for her 30th birthday