(FROM VARIETY) ? Beyonce Knowles has signed on to star in and executive produce the upcoming Sony BMG Films 1950s period movie Cadillac Records. Beyonce will play blues singer Etta James in the film, about the seminal Chicago record label Chess Records and its founder, Leonard Chess, who started out selling albums out of his Cadillac. James, Muddy Waters, Howlin’ Wolf, and Chuck Berry are among the legends who recorded on Chess. Darnell Martin (Their Eyes Were Watching God) is directing and also wrote the screenplay. Adrien Brody has already been cast as Chess, and Jeffrey Wright (Waters), Cedric the Entertainer (Willie Dixon), and Columbus Short (Little Walter) are also on board. Beyonce, who will also record four songs for the movie’s soundtrack, will donate a portion of her fees to recovering addicts through her family’s charity the Survivor Foundation. The singer-actress previously starred in Austin Powers in Goldmember and earned a Golden Globe nomination for 2006’s Dreamgirls. Her song ”Irreplaceable” earned a record of the year Grammy nod this year. (Hollywood Reporter)
Posted February 20 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- Kanye's new album: 'So Help Me God'
- 'SNL' react: Your quick take on Dakota Johnson and Alabama Shakes?
- 'Parks and Rec': On set for the final day
- John Green's 'Alaska' scriptwriters set
- Craig Ferguson set for ABC comedy pilot
- Will Smith back in 'Focus': What critics said
- 'The Red Road's Jason Momoa on season 2 and when we can expect Aquaman in action
- 20 TV series that nailed it with their very first scenes
- 'Last Man on Earth' guys salute inspirations
- 'Empire': New EW cast portraits and behind-the-scenes photos
- 'Dancing with the Stars': Sizing up the season 20 cast
- 'Parks' 2017: What we embrace/dread in world of tomorrow
- Susan Sarandon, Prince William and More!