Appropriating many of the rebel responsibilities of Ferris Bueller and Rushmore’s Max Fischer but little of their fresh charms, the title teen iconoclast of this antic yet bland comedy is showily updated for our psychotropic age. Rich kid Charlie Bartlett, an (Alpha Dog’s Anton Yelchin) becomes a guru-hero to his classmates, holding shrink sessions in the high school bathroom and handing out prescription elixirs (i.e., antidepressants, Ritalin) to the needy. Robert Downey Jr. is an uncomfortable sight as the school’s hard-drinking, overstressed principal. C+
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Robert Downey Jr., Anton Yelchin, Hope Davis; Director: Jon Poll; Author: Gustin Nash; Release Date Wide: 02/22/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 97; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: MGM
Posted February 20 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- Gay marriage ruling movie in the works at Fox
- Casting Net: Ellen Page signs on for Iraq War drama Lioness
- Hillary Clinton talks 'SNL' impressions
- Miss USA pageant names new hosts
- Rosie Perez leaving 'The View'
- Jeff Goldblum and wife welcome first son on the only possible day
- Katy Perry's Left Shark returns for Shark Week
- They look like THAT now? See some of the latest child stars all grown up
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Khloé Kardashian, Paul Rudd, Taylor Swift & More!