Appropriating many of the rebel responsibilities of Ferris Bueller and Rushmore’s Max Fischer but little of their fresh charms, the title teen iconoclast of this antic yet bland comedy is showily updated for our psychotropic age. Rich kid Charlie Bartlett, an (Alpha Dog’s Anton Yelchin) becomes a guru-hero to his classmates, holding shrink sessions in the high school bathroom and handing out prescription elixirs (i.e., antidepressants, Ritalin) to the needy. Robert Downey Jr. is an uncomfortable sight as the school’s hard-drinking, overstressed principal. C+
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Robert Downey Jr., Anton Yelchin, Hope Davis; Director: Jon Poll; Author: Gustin Nash; Release Date Wide: 02/22/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 97; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: MGM
Posted February 20 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- Wes Craven's 5 most twistedly influential films
- A$AP Rocky brings 'L$D' to the VMAs
- Celebrity reactions to Kanye West's MTV VMAs speech
- Miley Cyrus announces new album during VMAs performance
- 'Bad Blood' wins Video of the Year at the MTV VMAs
- The most GIF-able moments from this year's MTV VMAs
- 'I Am Cait' recap: 'The Dating Game'
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!