When a movie starring two Oscar winners, Tony Soprano, and Kate Winslet premieres at the 2005 Venice Film Festival, but then takes more than two years simply to appear in a dozen or so American theaters, eyebrows will be raised. Written and directed by consummate character actor John Turturro and boasting a pedigreed cast, this mutt of a musical is a bewildering spectacle indeed. In his joint commentary with his 14-year-old son, Turturro sums up the story of a New York schmo (Gandolfini) who’s cheating on his wife (Susan Sarandon) with a fiery harlot (Winslet) as ”Charles Bukowski writes The Honeymooners — with music,” but even that music, like the entire premise, is more gimmick than soul. Yes, it’s always fun to see wacky Christopher Walken dance. Of course it’s titillating to hear Winslet’s potty mouth. But the endless parade of miscast players (Mary-Louise Parker, Aida Turturro, Eddie Izzard, Mandy Moore) and schlocky choreographed dance numbers make Romance a real horror show. Which is not to be confused with The Rocky Horror Picture Show. EXTRAS In a sit-down intro, Turturro describes the passion project as ”an itch I needed to scratch” going all the way back to the late 1980s. But he never touches on the last three years, when the movie lingered in limbo. Sarandon and Winslet literally phone-in their comments for the ”Making a Homemade Musical” doc, with Sarandon’s apt description of one particular dream sequence capturing the essence of the entire film: ”I think all of us thought we’d stepped into some ’50s B-movie.” Turturro learned at the Coens’ feet (the brothers executive produced), but Romance & Cigarettes has more of the feel — but none of the flavor — of a John Waters film. D
Genre: Comedy, Musical; Starring: Steve Buscemi, James Gandolfini, Susan Sarandon, Kate Winslet, Eddie Izzard, Mandy Moore, Mary-Louise Parker, Aida Turturro, Christopher Walken; Director: John Turturro; Author: John Turturro; Release Date Limited: 09/07/2007; Runtime (in minutes): 115; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: United Artists (MGM)
Posted February 27 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'The Royals': Elizabeth Hurley mocks Hugh Grant in season premiere
- Westworld finale recap in progress: 'The Bicameral Mind'
- 'The Walking Dead': Watch a sneak peek of the midseason finale
- 'Rogue One' creatures highlighted in behind-the-scenes video
- 'The Walking Dead': Jeffrey Dean Morgan on Negan terrorizing Carl
- 'The Walking Dead': Chandler Riggs on Carl's biggest episode ever
- Juliette Lewis talks explosive 'Secrets and Lies' finale
- The 'Office Christmas Party' Cast Decks the Halls With Merry Mayhem
- The Best Gifts For 'Gilmore Girls' Fans
- See Exclusive Photos From Star-Studded Performances of 'Oh, Hello'
- 35 Photos of Britney Spears For Her 35th Birthday
- 12 Stars Who Are EGOT Winners
- 10 Celebs Who Appeared on 'Star Search' Before They Made It Big