The title does not lie: Beware, viewer, semi-graphic sex awaits! Yet there’s so much more to Ang Lee’s Chinese-language follow-up to Brokeback Mountain than the vigorous rutting that drew attention upon its release. In an astounding breakout performance, Tang Wei plays a Chinese World War II student revolutionary who — like Ingrid Bergman in Notorious — must use her body to get close to an enemy (Leung). While lacking Brokeback’s tenderness, Lust, Caution conveys the melancholy of a love that cannot survive. EXTRAS A boilerplate featurette, full of ”Everyone’s so talented”-type platitudes. B
Genre: Foreign Language, Romance, Drama; Starring: Joan Chen, Tony Leung Chiu Wai; Director: Ang Lee; Author: Wang Hui-Ling, James Schamus; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): In Season; MPAA Rating: In Season; Distributor: Focus Features
Posted February 29 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Sports Illustrated' reveals how the NFL persuaded Michael Jackson to perform at the Super Bowl
- Rachael Taylor joins 'A.K.A. Jessica Jones'
- Study: Binge-watching TV might make you sad
- A.J. McLean previews 'raw' Backstreet Boys documentary
- NEEDTOBREATHE teams with Gavin DeGraw for 'Brother'
- Disney to intro its first Latina princess
- Box office preview: 'Project Almanac' joins 'American Sniper' in theaters