The title does not lie: Beware, viewer, semi-graphic sex awaits! Yet there’s so much more to Ang Lee’s Chinese-language follow-up to Brokeback Mountain than the vigorous rutting that drew attention upon its release. In an astounding breakout performance, Tang Wei plays a Chinese World War II student revolutionary who — like Ingrid Bergman in Notorious — must use her body to get close to an enemy (Leung). While lacking Brokeback’s tenderness, Lust, Caution conveys the melancholy of a love that cannot survive. EXTRAS A boilerplate featurette, full of ”Everyone’s so talented”-type platitudes. B
Genre: Foreign Language, Romance, Drama; Starring: Joan Chen, Tony Leung Chiu Wai; Director: Ang Lee; Author: Wang Hui-Ling, James Schamus; Release Date Limited: 09/28/2007; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 158; MPAA Rating: NC-17; Distributor: Focus Features
Posted February 29 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- See an exclusive preview of Leslie Stein's dreamy, gorgeous cartoons from 'Bright-Eyed at Midnight'
- Nicolas Cage talks 'The Runner,' explains why he's not 'a madman'
- Chief Keef releases new mixtape ahead of schedule
- Get your exclusive first look at 'Shadowhunters'
- Grace Potter dishes about her poppiest album yet
- Abbi Jacobson is a 'Dreamgirl' in new 'Lip Sync Battle' clip
- Solve Agatha Christie mysteries with this simple formula
- Stars We Lost in 2015
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Sam Smith, Channing Tatum, Gwyneth Paltrow and More!