The title does not lie: Beware, viewer, semi-graphic sex awaits! Yet there’s so much more to Ang Lee’s Chinese-language follow-up to Brokeback Mountain than the vigorous rutting that drew attention upon its release. In an astounding breakout performance, Tang Wei plays a Chinese World War II student revolutionary who — like Ingrid Bergman in Notorious — must use her body to get close to an enemy (Leung). While lacking Brokeback’s tenderness, Lust, Caution conveys the melancholy of a love that cannot survive. EXTRAS A boilerplate featurette, full of ”Everyone’s so talented”-type platitudes. B
Genre: Foreign Language, Romance, Drama; Starring: Joan Chen, Tony Leung Chiu Wai; Director: Ang Lee; Author: Wang Hui-Ling, James Schamus; Runtime (in minutes): 158; MPAA Rating: NC-17; Distributor: Focus Features
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- Casting Net: Courtney Love, Timothy Hutton, Giancarlo Esposito join James Franco's 'The Long Home'
- Nicki Minaj joins 'Barbershop 3' cast
- 'Forever' sneak peek: John Noble puts Henry to a test he nearly fails
- 'Late Show' sneak peek: President Obama, David Letterman make retirement plans
- 'The Flash': Iris confronts Barry with the truth
- Jada Pinkett Smith on Fish Mooney's fate as 'Gotham' wraps season 1
- Orlando Jones exits 'Sleepy Hollow'
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Britney Spears, Orlando Bloom, Solange & More!