(FROM HOLLYWOOD REPORTER) ? Rita Marley, widow of reggae legend Bob Marley, is executive producing the first-ever biopic about the Jamaican artist, and the Hollywood Reporter says that Marley wants her late husband’s daughter-in-law, singer Lauryn Hill, to play her in the film. Hill is married to Rohan Marley, Bob’s son with Janet Hunt. The Weinstein Company optioned rights to Marley’s autobiography, No Woman No Cry: My Life With Bob Marley, which tells the story of Bob’s childhood as well as Rita’s 15-year marriage to him. Bob Marley died of cancer in 1981. The as-yet untitled biopic is scheduled to start production early next year for a late-2009 release. Rita Marley, who says she will be actively involved with shooting on the film, told the Reporter that her grandson Stefan is the ”splitting image” of Bob and would be perfect to play him in the biopic. Producer Rudy Langlais says that the movie may not be star-driven and that casting decisions will be made later this year.
Posted March 4 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer speaks out!
- 'Scream' postmortem: The killer revealed! What's next?
- Fox News anchor Harris Faulkner sues Hasbro over same-named toy hamster
- Casting Net: Scott Eastwood set to become action star in 'Overdrive'
- 'Scream' honors Wes Craven during finale
- Ellen Page says her 'Freeheld' role inspired her to come out
- 'Brides of Dracula' series from 'Arrow' producer gets NBC pilot commitment
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Victoria Justice, Andrew & Laura, Rihanna and More!