(FROM HOLLYWOOD REPORTER) ? Rita Marley, widow of reggae legend Bob Marley, is executive producing the first-ever biopic about the Jamaican artist, and the Hollywood Reporter says that Marley wants her late husband’s daughter-in-law, singer Lauryn Hill, to play her in the film. Hill is married to Rohan Marley, Bob’s son with Janet Hunt. The Weinstein Company optioned rights to Marley’s autobiography, No Woman No Cry: My Life With Bob Marley, which tells the story of Bob’s childhood as well as Rita’s 15-year marriage to him. Bob Marley died of cancer in 1981. The as-yet untitled biopic is scheduled to start production early next year for a late-2009 release. Rita Marley, who says she will be actively involved with shooting on the film, told the Reporter that her grandson Stefan is the ”splitting image” of Bob and would be perfect to play him in the biopic. Producer Rudy Langlais says that the movie may not be star-driven and that casting decisions will be made later this year.
Posted March 4 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- A$AP Rocky's 'At.Long.Last.A$AP' to drop at midnight
- Even Taylor Swift's mom thought it was 'Starbucks lovers'
- Two of B.B. King's daughters allege father was poisoned by employees
- Hear Icona Pop's new single 'Emergency'
- 'It' on hold; director Cary Fukunaga exits
- 'Jurassic World' director Colin Trevorrow dishes on deadly new dino Indominus Rex
- Drake: 'Madonna' out, 'Rihanna' in?
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- 'Survivor': Meet 20 alums you picked for a 'Second Chance'
- Christina & Matt, Kendall Jenner, Jordin Sparks & More!