(FROM HOLLYWOOD REPORTER) ? Rita Marley, widow of reggae legend Bob Marley, is executive producing the first-ever biopic about the Jamaican artist, and the Hollywood Reporter says that Marley wants her late husband’s daughter-in-law, singer Lauryn Hill, to play her in the film. Hill is married to Rohan Marley, Bob’s son with Janet Hunt. The Weinstein Company optioned rights to Marley’s autobiography, No Woman No Cry: My Life With Bob Marley, which tells the story of Bob’s childhood as well as Rita’s 15-year marriage to him. Bob Marley died of cancer in 1981. The as-yet untitled biopic is scheduled to start production early next year for a late-2009 release. Rita Marley, who says she will be actively involved with shooting on the film, told the Reporter that her grandson Stefan is the ”splitting image” of Bob and would be perfect to play him in the biopic. Producer Rudy Langlais says that the movie may not be star-driven and that casting decisions will be made later this year.
Posted March 4 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- 'Sesame Street': Sonia Manzano's 7 favorite times from 44 years as Maria
- 'Hannibal': No go at Netflix, Amazon
- Caitlyn Jenner gives empowering talk in new 'I Am Cait' trailer
- Michael Eisner clarifies comment that beautiful, funny women are 'impossible to find'
- Sluggish Fourth of July boxoffice no picnic for Hollywood
- Michael Fassbender as the Dude for 'Big Lebowski' live read
- ESPN pulls golf tourney off Trump course
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Kendall Jenner, Liv Tyler, Jessie J & More!