What could possibly have possessed Stephen Chow, the mad scientist of slapstick chopsocky who made Kung Fu Hustle (2004), to follow up that psychedelic pinwheel of a movie by entangling himself in CJ7, the gooey tale of a poor little Hong Kong schoolboy who befriends a fur ball from outer space? The cuddlebug in question may bear an abstract resemblance to E.T. (Chow’s stated inspiration), but he’s really closer to Gizmo in Gremlins crossed with a Chicken Little who got washed through the rinse cycle. His ”mischief” is trivial and charmless, and so is the movie. D+
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Comedy; Starring: Stephen Chow, Xu Jiao; Director: Stephen Chow; Author: Stephen Chow; Release Date Wide: 03/07/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 86; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted March 6 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- Kanye West's 'The Life of Pablo' has finally arrived
- Jonah Hill to host 'Saturday Night Live'
- Interracial marriage drama 'Loving' acquired by Focus Features
- Lady Gaga is getting her own 'Monster High' doll
- Melissa McCarthy hosts 'SNL': Talk about it here
- Chiwetel Ejiofor says he'll never forgive Mark from 'Love Actually'
- Hear Disney princesses sing in their original languages