What could possibly have possessed Stephen Chow, the mad scientist of slapstick chopsocky who made Kung Fu Hustle (2004), to follow up that psychedelic pinwheel of a movie by entangling himself in CJ7, the gooey tale of a poor little Hong Kong schoolboy who befriends a fur ball from outer space? The cuddlebug in question may bear an abstract resemblance to E.T. (Chow’s stated inspiration), but he’s really closer to Gizmo in Gremlins crossed with a Chicken Little who got washed through the rinse cycle. His ”mischief” is trivial and charmless, and so is the movie. D+
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Comedy; Starring: Stephen Chow, Xu Jiao; Director: Stephen Chow; Author: Stephen Chow; Release Date Wide: 03/07/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 86; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted March 6 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- Carpool Karaoke: Britney Spears, James Corden reenact '...Baby One More Time'
- 'Scream Queens' season 2 promo pics: The doctors (and nurses) are in
- Marvin Kaplan, 'Alice' and 'Top Cat' actor, dies at 89
- Kanye West's Saint Pablo Tour has a flying stage
- 'American Horror Story' teaser channels 'Children of the Corn'
- Mayim Bialik, Marcie Leeds recreate their 'Beaches' opening scene
- Demi Moore joins R-rated comedy 'Rock That Body'