What could possibly have possessed Stephen Chow, the mad scientist of slapstick chopsocky who made Kung Fu Hustle (2004), to follow up that psychedelic pinwheel of a movie by entangling himself in CJ7, the gooey tale of a poor little Hong Kong schoolboy who befriends a fur ball from outer space? The cuddlebug in question may bear an abstract resemblance to E.T. (Chow’s stated inspiration), but he’s really closer to Gizmo in Gremlins crossed with a Chicken Little who got washed through the rinse cycle. His ”mischief” is trivial and charmless, and so is the movie. D+
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Comedy; Starring: Stephen Chow, Xu Jiao; Director: Stephen Chow; Author: Stephen Chow; Release Date Wide: 03/07/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 86; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted March 6 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- Obama to trek into wilderness with Bear Grylls
- Hulk Hogan breaks silence on racist rant, asks for forgiveness
- See a snippet of Queen Latifah's 19-year-old 'Bessie' screen test
- How Todrick Hall hopes to inspire others through his new show, 'Todrick'
- Here's how Jaden Smith reacted to Kanye's VMAs speech
- Jeff Probst reveals the players he's surprised got voted into 'Survivor'
- Michael Jordan's 'Space Jam' uniform heading for auction
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- Khloé & Kris, Elsa & Chris, Rihanna and More!