What could possibly have possessed Stephen Chow, the mad scientist of slapstick chopsocky who made Kung Fu Hustle (2004), to follow up that psychedelic pinwheel of a movie by entangling himself in CJ7, the gooey tale of a poor little Hong Kong schoolboy who befriends a fur ball from outer space? The cuddlebug in question may bear an abstract resemblance to E.T. (Chow’s stated inspiration), but he’s really closer to Gizmo in Gremlins crossed with a Chicken Little who got washed through the rinse cycle. His ”mischief” is trivial and charmless, and so is the movie. D+
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Comedy; Starring: Stephen Chow, Xu Jiao; Director: Stephen Chow; Author: Stephen Chow; Release Date Wide: 03/07/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 86; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- J.K. Rowling speaks out about Scottish independence on Twitter
- John Oliver says standardized tests are almost as terrifying as clowns
- E! to air two-part 'Keeping Up With the Kardashians' special about Bruce Jenner
- 'Game of Thrones' TV Book Club: Did 'Sons of the Harpy' just confirm a huge fan theory?
- Watch a brief history of the PG-13 rating
- Miley Cyrus, The Flaming Lips to release collaborative album
- Royal baby name: Charlotte Elizabeth Diana
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Halle Berry & Goldie Hawn, Plus Diddy, Melissa McCarthy & More!