What could possibly have possessed Stephen Chow, the mad scientist of slapstick chopsocky who made Kung Fu Hustle (2004), to follow up that psychedelic pinwheel of a movie by entangling himself in CJ7, the gooey tale of a poor little Hong Kong schoolboy who befriends a fur ball from outer space? The cuddlebug in question may bear an abstract resemblance to E.T. (Chow’s stated inspiration), but he’s really closer to Gizmo in Gremlins crossed with a Chicken Little who got washed through the rinse cycle. His ”mischief” is trivial and charmless, and so is the movie. D+
Genre: Sci-fi and Fantasy, Comedy; Starring: Stephen Chow, Xu Jiao; Director: Stephen Chow; Author: Stephen Chow; Release Date Wide: 03/07/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 86; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted March 6 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- Bob Saget joins 'Fuller House,' says John Stamos in a tweet
- 'Wayward Pines' boss Chad Hodge talks episode 3: The Terrence Howard hymnal you didn't hear
- National Spelling Bee announces two champions
- '19 Kids & Counting' nix: Hulu exec says...
- Mariah Carey: 'Idol' was 'worst experience of my life'
- Kristen Bell live tweets her mistaken UberPool ride
- Casting Net: B.J. Novak joins Michael Keaton's 'The Founder,' Will Forte boards Key & Peele comedy