It’s nothing personal, but we genuinely enjoy watching Steve Carell get none. The 40 Year-Old Virgin scores again as an abstinent widowed dad who falls for his brother’s girlfriend (Juliette Binoche) in Dan in Real Life. His subdued performance single-handedly keeps this occasionally mawkish romantic comedy upright. EXTRAS Outtakes and hammier deleted scenes show that the actor’s ”Chekhovian sadness” — as writer-director Peter Hedges calls it in a genial commentary — wasn’t Method; a hidden video montage of his pleas for ”One more take?” exposes Carell’s endearing perfectionism. B+
(Merie W. Wallac)
Genre: Comedy, Romance; Starring: Juliette Binoche, Steve Carell, Dane Cook; Director: Peter Hedges; Author: Pierce Gardner, Peter Hedges; Release Date Wide: 10/26/2007; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted March 7 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- Dwayne Johnson tops Forbes' highest-paid actors list
- 12 must-read novels out this fall
- Read an exclusive excerpt from Marie Lu's 'The Midnight Star'
- WATCH: Jennifer Esposito and Wilmer Valderrama debut on 'NCIS'
- MTV VMAs producer: Rihanna to deliver 'holy crap VMA moment'
- Alan Tudyk, Nathan Fillion unveil 'Con Man: The Game' in exclusive trailer
- 'Trick 'r Treat' character Sam to become Halloween digital decoration