It’s nothing personal, but we genuinely enjoy watching Steve Carell get none. The 40 Year-Old Virgin scores again as an abstinent widowed dad who falls for his brother’s girlfriend (Juliette Binoche) in Dan in Real Life. His subdued performance single-handedly keeps this occasionally mawkish romantic comedy upright. EXTRAS Outtakes and hammier deleted scenes show that the actor’s ”Chekhovian sadness” — as writer-director Peter Hedges calls it in a genial commentary — wasn’t Method; a hidden video montage of his pleas for ”One more take?” exposes Carell’s endearing perfectionism. B+
(Merie W. Wallac)
Genre: Comedy, Romance; Starring: Juliette Binoche, Steve Carell, Dane Cook; Director: Peter Hedges; Author: Pierce Gardner, Peter Hedges; Release Date Wide: 10/26/2007; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted March 7 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- Listen to David Tennant explain Einstein's theory of general relativity
- See the fiery opening title sequence for 'The Shannara Chronicles'
- Daniel Radcliffe is jealous of Eddie Redmayne's 'Fantastic Beasts' costume
- Ron Howard set to direct thriller 'The Girl Before'
- Ice-T and Coco welcome daughter Chanel Nicole
- John Stamos shares high school prom throwback photo
- Chris Miller shares an update on 'The Lego Movie' sequel