It’s nothing personal, but we genuinely enjoy watching Steve Carell get none. The 40 Year-Old Virgin scores again as an abstinent widowed dad who falls for his brother’s girlfriend (Juliette Binoche) in Dan in Real Life. His subdued performance single-handedly keeps this occasionally mawkish romantic comedy upright. EXTRAS Outtakes and hammier deleted scenes show that the actor’s ”Chekhovian sadness” — as writer-director Peter Hedges calls it in a genial commentary — wasn’t Method; a hidden video montage of his pleas for ”One more take?” exposes Carell’s endearing perfectionism. B+
(Merie W. Wallac)
Genre: Comedy, Romance; Starring: Juliette Binoche, Steve Carell, Dane Cook; Director: Peter Hedges; Author: Pierce Gardner, Peter Hedges; Release Date Wide: 10/26/2007; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted March 7 2008 — 12:00 AM EST
- How Benedict Cumberbatch got in shape for 'Doctor Strange'
- 'Vampire Diaries': Kevin Williamson talks Katherine's season 1 twist
- Why William Castle's 'Strait-Jacket' is the perfect Halloween movie
- 'Rocky Horror' ratings no 'Grease'
- 'Real World' couple celebrates 15 years of marriage
- 'Nocturnal Animals' trailer: Love turns to nightmare for Amy Adams
- WATCH: Bryce Dallas Howard on how 'Black Mirror' season 3 resonates now