It’s a thin line between 20th-century Nazism and 21st-century corporate culture in Heartbeat Detector, Nicolas Klotz’s rewardingly chilly psychological thriller. Mathieu Amalric (The Diving Bell and the Butterfly) plays a staff shrink at the Paris branch of a giant German-owned company, investigating the unstable behavior of a company director (Michael Lonsdale). And the two Munich costars generate fine, underplayed tension. Klotz shoots in a palette of grays, then adds Schubert and techno for effective musical disorientation. A-
Genre: Drama; Starring: Michael Lonsdale, Mathieu Amalric; Director: Nicolas Klotz; Author: Francois Emmanuel, Elisabeth Perceval; Release Date Limited: 03/14/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 141; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Sophie Dulac
Posted March 12 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See 4 never-before-seen images from the illustrated 'Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'
- 21 things we learned from Lifetime's 'Unauthorized 90210 Story'
- Michael Fassbender 'studied Ashton Kutcher' (not really) for 'Steve Jobs'
- Why Victoria Justice got starstruck at Fashion Week
- Broadway's Cinderella and Prince Hans actor from 'Frozen' tie the knot
- Miley Cyrus hosts 'SNL': EW live blog
- Miley Cyrus hosts 'SNL': Play People's unofficial drinking game