(FROM HOLLYWOOD REPORTER) ? Singer-songwriter India.Arie has been tapped for the first-ever Broadway revival of For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide/When the Rainbow Is Enuf. Whoopi Goldberg is producing along with DreamTeam Entertainment. The Ntozake Shange play presents the interwoven stories of seven women of color from the African Diaspora. The original play opened its two-year run on Broadway in the summer of 1976, earning a Best Play Tony nomination and winning the Best Featured Actress in a Play Tony for Trazana Beverley. So far, Arie is the only cast member set for the revival, which has scheduled a mid-July preview and early-August opening. A theater has yet to be named. Shirley Jo Finney will direct, and Tony winner Hinton Battle will handle choreography. Arie’s previous acting credits include a short run portraying Nina Simone on NBC’s American Dreams. (Hollywood Reporter)
(Mark Mainz/Getty Images)
Posted March 12 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Oliver Sacks, famed neurologist and author, dies at 82
- See Jessica Simpson and Tracee Ellis Ross' glamorous 'sister' photo
- Kanye West to perform '808s & Heartbreak' in full at Hollywood Bowl
- 5 shows to watch now that 'Hannibal' is over
- Taylor Swift and Avril Lavigne performed 'Complicated' on 1989 tour
- 'Survivor' players on the most shameless thing they did for fan votes
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Demi Lovato, Nicki Minaj, Bill Murray, Bruce Willis and More!