(FROM HOLLYWOOD REPORTER) ? Singer-songwriter India.Arie has been tapped for the first-ever Broadway revival of For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide/When the Rainbow Is Enuf. Whoopi Goldberg is producing along with DreamTeam Entertainment. The Ntozake Shange play presents the interwoven stories of seven women of color from the African Diaspora. The original play opened its two-year run on Broadway in the summer of 1976, earning a Best Play Tony nomination and winning the Best Featured Actress in a Play Tony for Trazana Beverley. So far, Arie is the only cast member set for the revival, which has scheduled a mid-July preview and early-August opening. A theater has yet to be named. Shirley Jo Finney will direct, and Tony winner Hinton Battle will handle choreography. Arie’s previous acting credits include a short run portraying Nina Simone on NBC’s American Dreams. (Hollywood Reporter)
(Mark Mainz/Getty Images)
Posted March 12 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Big Brother': Jason reveals what name he almost called Liz on live TV
- Nile Rodgers explains why FOLD is totally different than other music festivals
- 9 TV characters we wish were our camp counselors
- Read an exclusive excerpt from Jennifer E. Smith's 'Hello, Goodbye, and Everything in Between'
- Meet the beautiful scene-stealer in 'Mission: Impossible -- Rogue Nation'
- Carly Rae Jepsen's 'Warm Blood' is an infectious electro-pop tune
- Ed Helms plays 'Shag, Marry, Kill': Former costar edition
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Helen Mirren, Tom Cruise, The Baldwins & More!