(FROM HOLLYWOOD REPORTER) ? Singer-songwriter India.Arie has been tapped for the first-ever Broadway revival of For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide/When the Rainbow Is Enuf. Whoopi Goldberg is producing along with DreamTeam Entertainment. The Ntozake Shange play presents the interwoven stories of seven women of color from the African Diaspora. The original play opened its two-year run on Broadway in the summer of 1976, earning a Best Play Tony nomination and winning the Best Featured Actress in a Play Tony for Trazana Beverley. So far, Arie is the only cast member set for the revival, which has scheduled a mid-July preview and early-August opening. A theater has yet to be named. Shirley Jo Finney will direct, and Tony winner Hinton Battle will handle choreography. Arie’s previous acting credits include a short run portraying Nina Simone on NBC’s American Dreams. (Hollywood Reporter)
(Mark Mainz/Getty Images)
Posted March 12 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Read an exclusive excerpt from Estelle Laure's 'This Raging Light'
- 'Silicon Valley' star T.J. Miller on his 'absurd' HBO pilot 'The Gorburger Show'
- Casting Net: Woody Harrelson, Laura Dern in negotiations for 'Wilson'
- Natalie Portman relives 'dark moments' at Harvard in commencement speech
- Thom Yorke made an 18-day-long soundtrack, still not new Radiohead music
- 'Serial' set for two more seasons
- Jenelle Evans of 'Teen Mom 2': Arrest warrant