(FROM HOLLYWOOD REPORTER) ? Singer-songwriter India.Arie has been tapped for the first-ever Broadway revival of For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide/When the Rainbow Is Enuf. Whoopi Goldberg is producing along with DreamTeam Entertainment. The Ntozake Shange play presents the interwoven stories of seven women of color from the African Diaspora. The original play opened its two-year run on Broadway in the summer of 1976, earning a Best Play Tony nomination and winning the Best Featured Actress in a Play Tony for Trazana Beverley. So far, Arie is the only cast member set for the revival, which has scheduled a mid-July preview and early-August opening. A theater has yet to be named. Shirley Jo Finney will direct, and Tony winner Hinton Battle will handle choreography. Arie’s previous acting credits include a short run portraying Nina Simone on NBC’s American Dreams. (Hollywood Reporter)
(Mark Mainz/Getty Images)
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- Jenny Slate, Ari Graynor to star in FX road-trip comedy fro 'Obvious Child' team'
- D'Angelo announces U.S. dates for Second Coming tour
- 'Penny Dreadful' showrunner John Logan teases season 2's 'ferocious enemy'
- Nick Broomfield talks 'Tales of the Grim Sleeper'
- Michael Strahan reunites Bell Biv DeVoe for 'Lip Sync Battle'
- Breaking: Jake Gyllenhaal admits he was once in a boy band