(FROM HOLLYWOOD REPORTER) ? Rupert Friend (Virgin Territory, Pride & Prejudice) has been cast and Kathy Bates is in final negotiations for director Stephen Frears’ (The Queen, High Fidelity) French period drama Cheri. The duo will join Michelle Pfeiffer in the movie, about a spoiled young man (Friend) whose mother (Bates) sends him to her courtesan friend Lea de Lonval (Pfeiffer) for an adult education. The two see their six-year romance come to a painful end when the man is forced to marry a wealthy young woman. The story has been adapted from French novelist Colette’s provocative 1920 novel. Friend will next be seen starring as Prince Albert in The Young Victoria, which also stars Emily Blunt. (Hollywood Reporter)
(Frazer Harrison/Getty Images(2))
Posted March 17 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Malcolm-Jamal Warner says the legacy of 'The Cosby Show' is 'tarnished'
- 7 tracks we loved this week from Car Seat Headrest to Selena Gomez
- Ultron sounds even better saying James Spader's lines from 'The Office'
- 'Brooklyn Nine-Nine' exclusive clip: Mary Lynn Rajskub is Boyle's dream woman
- 'The Vampire Diaries' can't take a bite out of the competition
- James Bond kills supercut: Shocking, positively shocking
- What we learned from the 'Pretty Little Liars' Comic-Con panel