(FROM HOLLYWOOD REPORTER) ? Rupert Friend (Virgin Territory, Pride & Prejudice) has been cast and Kathy Bates is in final negotiations for director Stephen Frears’ (The Queen, High Fidelity) French period drama Cheri. The duo will join Michelle Pfeiffer in the movie, about a spoiled young man (Friend) whose mother (Bates) sends him to her courtesan friend Lea de Lonval (Pfeiffer) for an adult education. The two see their six-year romance come to a painful end when the man is forced to marry a wealthy young woman. The story has been adapted from French novelist Colette’s provocative 1920 novel. Friend will next be seen starring as Prince Albert in The Young Victoria, which also stars Emily Blunt. (Hollywood Reporter)
(Frazer Harrison/Getty Images(2))
Posted March 17 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Read an exclusive excerpt from Estelle Laure's 'This Raging Light'
- 'Silicon Valley' star T.J. Miller on his 'absurd' HBO pilot 'The Gorburger Show'
- Casting Net: Woody Harrelson, Laura Dern in negotiations for 'Wilson'
- Natalie Portman relives 'dark moments' at Harvard in commencement speech
- Thom Yorke made an 18-day-long soundtrack, still not new Radiohead music
- 'Serial' set for two more seasons
- Jenelle Evans of 'Teen Mom 2': Arrest warrant