(FROM HOLLYWOOD REPORTER) ? Rupert Friend (Virgin Territory, Pride & Prejudice) has been cast and Kathy Bates is in final negotiations for director Stephen Frears’ (The Queen, High Fidelity) French period drama Cheri. The duo will join Michelle Pfeiffer in the movie, about a spoiled young man (Friend) whose mother (Bates) sends him to her courtesan friend Lea de Lonval (Pfeiffer) for an adult education. The two see their six-year romance come to a painful end when the man is forced to marry a wealthy young woman. The story has been adapted from French novelist Colette’s provocative 1920 novel. Friend will next be seen starring as Prince Albert in The Young Victoria, which also stars Emily Blunt. (Hollywood Reporter)
(Frazer Harrison/Getty Images(2))
Posted March 17 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Constance Wu of 'Fresh Off the Boat' opens up about the show's controversial start
- Bill Cosby accuser from 2005 lawsuit comes forward
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Modest Mouse share 'Of Course We Know,' announce tour dates
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt
- EW recommends: iZombie, Eloise, and Fun Home