Boy loves girl and sings about it, boy loses girl to tragedy and sings about it, then boy considers the possibility of new love with a new boy and sings about it — and the whole thing works, in a delirious French way. Collaborating again with his sensual male muse Louis Garrel, after Dans Paris, Christophe Honoré and songwriter Alex Beaupain update the spirit of Jacques Demy’s The Umbrellas of Cherbourg for a new youthquake generation with Love Songs: Chiara Mastroianni charms here just as her maman, Catherine Deneuve, did in Demy’s 1964 classic. B+
Genre: Musical; Starring: Chiara Mastroianni, Louis Garrel; Director: Christophe Honore; Author: Christophe Honore; Release Date Limited: 03/19/2008; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 95; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted March 19 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Starz renews 'Black Sails,' orders Antonio Banderas project
- Migos weigh in on ghostwriting raps as first studio album drops
- Jenni Pulos reflects on wowing the crowd for 'Showtime at the Apollo'
- 'UnREAL' creators react to Chris Harrison's criticisms of the show
- 'Doctor Who' producer drops hints about Maisie Williams role
- Everything you should live stream from Lollapalooza this weekend
- How Ice Cube's son really got his breakout role in 'Straight Outta Compton'
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Amy Poehler, Justin Theroux, Rihanna & More!