For a movie called Never Back Down, its high school hero Jake (Sean Faris) sure backs down a lot. Challenged to a mixed martial-arts match by a bully at a pool party, Jake doesn’t want to brawl. Then he does. After he gets beaten down, he trains with a local Mr. Miyagi (Djimon Hounsou) for the rematch. Which he doesn’t wanna fight in. Until he finally does. Movie is dopey. And with its emphasis on stupid violence, xylophone abs, and getting yourself on YouTube, it’s yet another product that makes you feel bad about today’s youth culture. D
Genre: Drama, Action/Adventure; Starring: Sean Faris, Djimon Hounsou; Director: Jeff Wadlow; Author: Chris Hauty; Release Date Wide: 03/14/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 104; MPAA Rating: PG-13
Posted March 19 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Lin-Manuel Miranda live-tweeted commentary for 'Hamilton's America'
- J.K. Rowling loves Amy Schumer's book
- Chris Pratt encourages people to go outside and look for trolls
- Kanye West scored Kardashian family movies to 'Only One' for Kim's birthday
- 'Once Upon a Time' star says Robin Hood return provides closure
- Jason Sudeikis duets with Harry Connick Jr. as Harry Connick Jr.
- Chris Pine cast in Ava DuVernay's 'A Wrinkle in Time'