The video for the U.K.-raised singer’s retro-soul single ”American Boy,” featuring Kanye West, stirs up memories of (classic) Lauryn Hill in both style and sound. In fact, John Legend was so taken with Estelle’s talent for flirtatiously weaving together rap, R&B, funk, and reggae that he chose her U.S. debut, Shine — which includes collaborations with Mark Ronson and will.i.am — as the first release (due April 29) for his new imprint, Homeschool Records. View ”American Boy” at music.aol.com/video-hub or hear more of her tunes at myspace.com/estelleonline.
Posted March 21 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Leonard Nimoy's Mr. Spock: A tribute to the humane spirit
- 'McFarland, USA' and the neutering of sports movies
- Leonard Nimoy: 9 'I Am Not Spock' TV roles
- Look, but don't retouch? Female celeb photo debate
- Margot Robbie's 'Focus' audition, a.k.a. 'the craziest 24 hours of my life'
- 'Focus' is weekend's No. 1 movie; 'Fifty Shades of Grey' drops to No. 4
- 'SNL' react: Your quick take on Dakota Johnson and Alabama Shakes?