The video for the U.K.-raised singer’s retro-soul single ”American Boy,” featuring Kanye West, stirs up memories of (classic) Lauryn Hill in both style and sound. In fact, John Legend was so taken with Estelle’s talent for flirtatiously weaving together rap, R&B, funk, and reggae that he chose her U.S. debut, Shine — which includes collaborations with Mark Ronson and will.i.am — as the first release (due April 29) for his new imprint, Homeschool Records. View ”American Boy” at music.aol.com/video-hub or hear more of her tunes at myspace.com/estelleonline.
Posted March 21 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Mark Hamill to return as The Joker for 'The Killing Joke'
- Hugh Jackman shares final ‘Wolverine’ teaser image
- Casting Net: Morgan Freeman leads up action film 'Down to a Sunless Sea'
- 'The Bachelorette': And the 'winner' is...
- Richard Linklater in talks to direct Jennifer Lawrence in 'The Rosie Project'
- 'All the Bright Places' starring Elle Fanning finds its director
- HBO developing new Wild West drama series 'Untamed'
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- Matthew & Keri, Katy Perry, Cate Blanchett & More!