Documentarian Morgan Neville takes an appropriately lively, left-field approach to The Cool School’s eye-opening history of the Beat-era Left Coast art scene — a lesser-known chapter in the story of American modern art. Those who lived it tell the story of the influential Ferus Gallery, a Los Angeles outpost of scrappy artists — among them Ed Kienholz and Ed Ruscha — who worked blithely independent of prevailing East Coast trends. The rare footage of ’50s and ’60s L.A. alone is a treasure; the City of Angels has rarely looked so hip. Bonus: cool music from the likes of Charles Mingus and the Velvet Underground. A-
The Cool SchoolDocumentarian Morgan Neville takes an appropriately lively, left-field approach to The Cool School's eye-opening history of the Beat-era...The Cool SchoolDocumentaryPT86MUnratedDocumentarian Morgan Neville takes an appropriately lively, left-field approach to The Cool School's eye-opening history of the Beat-era...2008-03-26Arthouse
Genre: Documentary; Starring: Dennis Hopper; Director: Morgan Neville; Runtime (in minutes): 86; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Arthouse
Posted March 26 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Thrones' actor on new show: 'We don't need dragons. We got cocaine!'
- David Spade: 'Fameless' isn't mean-spirited — the contestants are too 'thirsty'
- 'Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp': On the set of the prequel
- Azealia Banks: Australian crowds are 'violent' and 'terrible'
- Exclusive clip from TV satire 'Shooting the Warwicks' is unreal
- Diane Keaton joins Jude Law for HBO's 'The Young Pope'
- Someone's made a 'Breaking Bad'-inspired coffee shop
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- #50Scoops50Days: Keep up with the latest in fall TV news
- Ashley Madison profiles for TV's most famous adulterers
- The Hemsworths, Eva Longoria, Tom Cruise & More!