A far-too-wacky Christopher Guest knockoff. It’s obvious that The Grand’s director, Zak Penn, set out to make the Best in Show of high-stakes poker, but to raise the ante, he piles up the absurdities and zany backstories — half the movie is zany backstory — so that the characters are never more than the sum of their (overstated) quirks. The cast is game, however. Woody Harrelson as a drug addict out to rescue the family casino, Cheryl Hines as a Long Island hausfrau, Richard Kind as a nerd savant — each of these improv farceurs wins a few laughs. But not enough. C
The GrandA far-too-wacky Christopher Guest knockoff. It's obvious that The Grand's director, Zak Penn, set out to make the Best in Show...The GrandComedyZak PennPT104MRA far-too-wacky Christopher Guest knockoff. It's obvious that The Grand's director, Zak Penn, set out to make the Best in Show...2008-03-26Anchor Bay Entertainment
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Woody Harrelson, Cheryl Hines; Director: Zak Penn; Author: Zak Penn; Runtime (in minutes): 104; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Anchor Bay Entertainment
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- Kevin Hart to receive Comedic Genius Award at MTV Movie Awards
- Weinstein Company acquires Matthew McConaughey-starring 'Gold'
- David Beckham stars in a new underwear ad... with James Corden?
- Colin Trevorrow to direct 'Book of Henry' following 'Jurassic World' release
- Michelle Obama to appear on 'The Tonight Show'
- Listen to EW's Sirius XM spotlight on the women of comedy, featuring Kristen Schaal
- De La Soul to fund new album via Kickstarter
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- 'Batman v. Superman' character portraits: Like the looks?
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Blake Shelton, Destiny's Child, Claire & Don and More!