A far-too-wacky Christopher Guest knockoff. It’s obvious that The Grand’s director, Zak Penn, set out to make the Best in Show of high-stakes poker, but to raise the ante, he piles up the absurdities and zany backstories — half the movie is zany backstory — so that the characters are never more than the sum of their (overstated) quirks. The cast is game, however. Woody Harrelson as a drug addict out to rescue the family casino, Cheryl Hines as a Long Island hausfrau, Richard Kind as a nerd savant — each of these improv farceurs wins a few laughs. But not enough. C
The GrandA far-too-wacky Christopher Guest knockoff. It's obvious that The Grand's director, Zak Penn, set out to make the Best in Show...The GrandComedyZak PennPT104MRA far-too-wacky Christopher Guest knockoff. It's obvious that The Grand's director, Zak Penn, set out to make the Best in Show...2008-03-26Anchor Bay Entertainment
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Woody Harrelson, Cheryl Hines; Director: Zak Penn; Author: Zak Penn; Runtime (in minutes): 104; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Anchor Bay Entertainment
Posted March 26 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Constance Wu of 'Fresh Off the Boat' opens up about the show's controversial start
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt
- Comedian Matt Braunger on pilot season, his new album 'Big Dumb Animal,' and the science of titles