The great Taiwanese filmmaker Hou Hsiao-hsien expands on the bright, drifty loveliness of Albert Lamorisse’s 1956 classic, The Red Balloon, in Flight of the Red Balloon, his lyrical French-language debut, floating notions about loneliness and urban beauty, frazzled adults and buffeted kids. Her hair a telling botch of bleach, Juliette Binoche is outstanding as a wildly untogether single mother who parks her son with a French-speaking Chinese nanny while she whirls and worries. Hou, meanwhile, observes the mess in with a kind, gentle eye in much the same way as the red balloon hovers, patient. A-
Genre: Drama; Starring: Juliette Binoche, Simon Iteanu, Hippolyte Girardot; Director: Hou Hsiao-Hsien; Author: Hou Hsiao-Hsien, Francois Margolin; Release Date Limited: 04/04/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 115; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted April 4 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Eric Church, Maren Morris, Chris Stapleton lead 2016 CMA noms
- 21 nonfiction books to look forward to this fall
- 'Sherlock' men look stylish in first season 4 photo
- John Krasinski, Stephen Colbert pretend to puke to Shakespeare
- Emeril Lagasse previews 'delicious' new Amazon series, 'Eat the World'
- 'Whose billy goat is this?' guys to sing about other animals
- Seth Meyers: Global warming made Earth 'the Donald Trump of planets'