The great Taiwanese filmmaker Hou Hsiao-hsien expands on the bright, drifty loveliness of Albert Lamorisse’s 1956 classic, The Red Balloon, in Flight of the Red Balloon, his lyrical French-language debut, floating notions about loneliness and urban beauty, frazzled adults and buffeted kids. Her hair a telling botch of bleach, Juliette Binoche is outstanding as a wildly untogether single mother who parks her son with a French-speaking Chinese nanny while she whirls and worries. Hou, meanwhile, observes the mess in with a kind, gentle eye in much the same way as the red balloon hovers, patient. A-
Genre: Drama; Starring: Juliette Binoche, Simon Iteanu, Hippolyte Girardot; Director: Hou Hsiao-Hsien; Author: Hou Hsiao-Hsien, Francois Margolin; Runtime (in minutes): 115; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted April 4 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Iggy Azalea engaged to Nick Young
- Rob Kardashian didn't recognize Caitlyn Jenner
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race' season 7 winner talks about being the 'shadiest queen'
- Robin Williams' wife, children continue to sort out issues over late actor's estate
- Icona Pop join One Direction on their U.S. tour
- Caitlyn Jenner's mom: 'She's beautiful'
- St. Vincent OK after fall off speakers