Marvelously inventive, often-ironic Israeli storyteller Etgar Keret and his life- and workmate, Shira Geffen, spin in Jellyfish a dreamy, arty, alluringly cockeyed tale involving three unrelated women in Tel Aviv, a mysterious little girl, and the power of the sea — an element central to Tel Aviv life and psyche. The seemingly random movement of the title’s slippery, stinging creatures applies to the direction of the characters’ lives, as well as to the delicate, carefully crafted shape of the movie, which won the Camera d’Or at the 2007 Cannes Film Festival. B+
Genre: Foreign Language, Drama; Starring: Nikol Leidman, Sarah Adler, Gera Sandler; Director: Shira Geffen, Etgar Keret; Author: Shira Geffen; Release Date Limited: 04/25/2008; Status: In Season; Runtime (in minutes): 78; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: Zeitgeist Films
Posted April 4 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See Ryan Reynolds give Conan O’Brien a massage as Deadpool (with panda tears)
- Kevin Bacon campaigns for more male nudity in Hollywood in mock PSA
- See the red band trailer for Ryan Reynolds' 'Deadpool'
- 'Playing House' season 2 premiere react: Did you find the BFFs' return 'totes kewl'?
- 'SYTYCD' mentor blog: Travis Wall on that 'uncomfortable' Twitter save
- Casting Net: Will Smith replaces Hugh Jackman in 'Collateral Beauty'
- 9 spoilers on 'Grey’s Anatomy,' 'Scandal,' 'Murder'