The “behind the scenes shots” that Kanye West just posted of the sets for his spring tour don’t quite come as advertised: There’s just one pic, and it’s pretty fuzzy at that. But the accompanying blurb has nonetheless sent me into an anticipatory tizzy. “I tell people, hey, this show is gonna be crazy and they say, ‘I bet it is!’,” Kanye smirks. “BUT THEY HAVE NO IDEA!” Let us count the design elements they have no idea of…
• “ROBOT DESIGNED BY ACCLAIMED ARTIST CHRISTIAN COLON”: I won’t lie, I get a little uncomfortable every time I read about human beings eagerly extending the hand of friendship to robots. (Haven’t these people ever watched Battlestar?!) Still, this somewhat scary news does sound pretty cool.
• “CREATURES BY THE LEGENDARY JIM HENSON’S CREATURE SHOP”: Creatures! Which gives me a perfect excuse to link to this genius Muppets/N.W.A. mashup that’s been making the blog rounds (NSFW lyrics, obvs).
• “LIGHTING BY MARTIN PHILLIPS AND JOHN McGUIRE RESPONSIBLE FOR LAST YEARSFESTIVAL ANNIHILATOR, DAFT PUNK’S PYRAMID, POSSIBLY THE GREATEST LIGHTSHOW OF ALL TIME!!”: True, that pyramid was really dope.
• “MY SET DOES NOT HAVE A PYRAMID IN IT OR ANYWAY FEEL LIKE A BITE OF DAFT’S SHOW”: I appreciate that Kanye has taken the time to clarify these things.
• “HOLOGRAMS SHOT BY HYPE WILLIAMS!!!”: Kanye and Hype have done some great work together, so this should be fun. (Also of note: Judging by an NSFW follow-up image posted by ‘Ye, some of these apparently might be naked-people holograms. Do with that information what you will.)
Put that together, and you’ve got more than enough to convince me to book some plane tickets, perhaps via his recently launched KanyeTravel.com. Any other spectacle-loving rap fans out there looking forward to this tour?