In his first English-language film, the Hong Kong avant-pop auteur Wong Kar-Wai shoots American dive bars in gorgeous hot reds, and he teases out moments of terrific acting — from David Strathairn and Rachel Weisz as a bitter, raging couple, and from Natalie Portman as a Dixie-broad poker fiend with daddy issues. But Norah Jones, making her big-screen debut as a wistful wanderer, is a beautiful blank, and the fragments barely add up to a movie. My Blueberry Nights hints that buried in Wong’s spicy odd noodlings may be an even better conventional filmmaker. B-
Genre: Drama, Romance; Starring: Norah Jones, Jude Law, Natalie Portman, David Strathairn, Rachel Weisz; Director: Wong Kar-Wai; Author: Lawrence Block, Wong Kar-Wai; Release Date Limited: 04/04/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 90; Distributor: The Weinstein Company
Posted April 4 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Chicago Med' has two new showrunners
- Fox changes name of its new series 'The Frankenstein Code'
- Chaka Khan set for 'Dancing With the Stars'
- Why Wayne Brady freaked out at the chance to play drag queen Lola in 'Kinky Boots'
- 'American Dad!' renewed for two seasons
- Nicki Minaj will open the MTV VMAs on Sunday
- Miley Cyrus addresses Nicki Minaj's VMAs comments in new interview
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Miley Cyrus, Taylor & Selena, The Voice Crew & More!