In his first English-language film, the Hong Kong avant-pop auteur Wong Kar-Wai shoots American dive bars in gorgeous hot reds, and he teases out moments of terrific acting — from David Strathairn and Rachel Weisz as a bitter, raging couple, and from Natalie Portman as a Dixie-broad poker fiend with daddy issues. But Norah Jones, making her big-screen debut as a wistful wanderer, is a beautiful blank, and the fragments barely add up to a movie. My Blueberry Nights hints that buried in Wong’s spicy odd noodlings may be an even better conventional filmmaker. B-
Genre: Drama, Romance; Starring: Norah Jones, Jude Law, Natalie Portman, David Strathairn, Rachel Weisz; Director: Wong Kar-Wai; Author: Lawrence Block, Wong Kar-Wai; Release Date Limited: 04/04/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 90; Distributor: The Weinstein Company
Posted April 4 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 21 things we learned from Lifetime's 'Unauthorized 90210 Story'
- Michael Fassbender 'studied Ashton Kutcher' (not really) for 'Steve Jobs'
- Why Victoria Justice got starstruck at Fashion Week
- Broadway's Cinderella and Prince Hans actor from 'Frozen' tie the knot
- Miley Cyrus hosts 'SNL': EW live blog
- Miley Cyrus hosts 'SNL': Play People's unofficial drinking game
- Princess Leia's 'Star Wars' bikini sells for $96,000 at auction