In his first English-language film, the Hong Kong avant-pop auteur Wong Kar-Wai shoots American dive bars in gorgeous hot reds, and he teases out moments of terrific acting — from David Strathairn and Rachel Weisz as a bitter, raging couple, and from Natalie Portman as a Dixie-broad poker fiend with daddy issues. But Norah Jones, making her big-screen debut as a wistful wanderer, is a beautiful blank, and the fragments barely add up to a movie. My Blueberry Nights hints that buried in Wong’s spicy odd noodlings may be an even better conventional filmmaker. B-
Genre: Drama, Romance; Starring: Norah Jones, Jude Law, Natalie Portman, David Strathairn, Rachel Weisz; Director: Wong Kar-Wai; Author: Lawrence Block, Wong Kar-Wai; Release Date Limited: 04/04/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 90; Distributor: The Weinstein Company
Posted April 4 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'The Walking Dead': Negan's brutal kill scene recreated with Legos
- JoJo honors Selena with 'Dreaming of You' cover in hometown
- 'Supernatural': Ackles, Padalecki discuss the effects of Mary's choice
- 'Pitch' EP explains the heartbreaking reveal behind the premiere twist
- Bryan Cranston performs dramatic reading of 'Shout Out to My Ex'
- Stephen Colbert scolds Run the Jewels for suggestive new Halloween song
- Amy Schumer on 'Formation' video backlash: 'It was never a parody'