A good genre parody has to have a satisfying density of gags — that way, if you chuckle at 1 out of 30, you’re still giggle-happy. Superhero Movie, though, seems to have been given the comedy equivalent of blood thinner. It has the blazing satirical boldness to skewer the first Tobey Maguire Spider-Man — and, amazingly, not much else. There are a few lively bits (Drake Bell, as a boyish Spandexed crusader named Dragonfly, shimmies up a wall and break-dances on it), and one joke with an edge: a slap at Stephen Hawking and his computer-drone voice. Mostly, though, this is super-lame. C-
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Leslie Nielsen, Sara Paxton, Drake Bell; Director: Craig Mazin; Author: Craig Mazin; Release Date Wide: 03/28/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 82; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: MGM
Posted April 4 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Constance Wu of 'Fresh Off the Boat' opens up about the show's controversial start
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt
- Comedian Matt Braunger on pilot season, his new album 'Big Dumb Animal,' and the science of titles