A good genre parody has to have a satisfying density of gags — that way, if you chuckle at 1 out of 30, you’re still giggle-happy. Superhero Movie, though, seems to have been given the comedy equivalent of blood thinner. It has the blazing satirical boldness to skewer the first Tobey Maguire Spider-Man — and, amazingly, not much else. There are a few lively bits (Drake Bell, as a boyish Spandexed crusader named Dragonfly, shimmies up a wall and break-dances on it), and one joke with an edge: a slap at Stephen Hawking and his computer-drone voice. Mostly, though, this is super-lame. C-
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Leslie Nielsen, Sara Paxton, Drake Bell; Director: Craig Mazin; Author: Craig Mazin; Release Date Wide: 03/28/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 82; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: MGM
Posted April 4 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Dwayne Johnson on Hulk Hogan's racist rant: 'We've all talked trash'
- Jared Padalecki posted his first-ever #TBT: 13 more 'Supernatural' throwbacks
- Betty White is furious about the killing of Cecil the lion
- Fox cancels Ryan Seacrest's 'Knock Knock Live' after 2 episodes
- Despite polarizing season 2, HBO still interested in more 'True Detective'
- Box office preview: 'Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation,' 'Vacation'
- 'The Walking Dead' Season 6: 12 EW exclusive photos
- 10 must-have items from the 'Mad Men' auction: Exclusive
- Stars go back to work! 'Scandal,' 'Arrow,' 'The Good Wife,' more return to set
- Charlie Hunnam and Excalibur glisten in 'King Arthur' first look photos
- Here are the 2015 games we're looking forward to most
- Jennifer Lopez, Brad Pitt, Candace & Lori and More!