A good genre parody has to have a satisfying density of gags — that way, if you chuckle at 1 out of 30, you’re still giggle-happy. Superhero Movie, though, seems to have been given the comedy equivalent of blood thinner. It has the blazing satirical boldness to skewer the first Tobey Maguire Spider-Man — and, amazingly, not much else. There are a few lively bits (Drake Bell, as a boyish Spandexed crusader named Dragonfly, shimmies up a wall and break-dances on it), and one joke with an edge: a slap at Stephen Hawking and his computer-drone voice. Mostly, though, this is super-lame. C-
Genre: Comedy; Starring: Leslie Nielsen, Sara Paxton, Drake Bell; Director: Craig Mazin; Author: Craig Mazin; Release Date Wide: 03/28/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 82; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: MGM
Posted April 4 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Agent Carter' takes on Tinseltown in season 2 teaser
- Idris Elba 'nearly died' filming 'Beasts of No Nation'
- Zach Galligan wants to return for 'Gremlins 3'
- Hear Erykah Badu and Andre 3000 team up for 'Hello'
- 'Gods of Egypt' director: 'Our casting choices should have been more diverse'
- Patti LaBelle spends Thanksgiving with pie fan James Wright
- Hear Sia's new single 'One Million Bullets'