One hardly needs to have grown up Italian in the ’60s to feel a pang of nostalgia watching My Brother Is an Only Child, Daniele Luchetti’s tale of small-town brothers. The young men chafing against the provinces, the arias of Marxist discontent, the hero’s affair with an older woman — the movie is a veritable scrapbook of tropes from the heyday of art film. Maybe that’s why it feels gauzy and quaint. Yet time passes pleasantly. As Accio, who joins the Fascist party because he’s got little else, Elio Germano is dim, scrappy, likable — Jughead as a hothead. B-
My Brother is an Only ChildOne hardly needs to have grown up Italian in the '60s to feel a pang of nostalgia watching My Brother Is an Only Child, Daniele Luchetti...My Brother is an Only ChildForeign Language, ComedyPT108MUnratedOne hardly needs to have grown up Italian in the '60s to feel a pang of nostalgia watching My Brother Is an Only Child, Daniele Luchetti...2008-04-09THINKFilm
Genre: Foreign Language, Comedy; Starring: Elio Germano, Riccardo Scamarcio; Director: Daniele Luchetti; Release Date Limited: 03/28/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 108; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: THINKFilm
Posted April 9 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Carpool Karaoke: Britney Spears, James Corden reenact '...Baby One More Time'
- 'Scream Queens' season 2 promo pics: The doctors (and nurses) are in
- Marvin Kaplan, 'Alice' and 'Top Cat' actor, dies at 89
- Kanye West's Saint Pablo Tour has a flying stage
- 'American Horror Story' teaser channels 'Children of the Corn'
- Mayim Bialik, Marcie Leeds recreate their 'Beaches' opening scene
- Demi Moore joins R-rated comedy 'Rock That Body'