One hardly needs to have grown up Italian in the ’60s to feel a pang of nostalgia watching My Brother Is an Only Child, Daniele Luchetti’s tale of small-town brothers. The young men chafing against the provinces, the arias of Marxist discontent, the hero’s affair with an older woman — the movie is a veritable scrapbook of tropes from the heyday of art film. Maybe that’s why it feels gauzy and quaint. Yet time passes pleasantly. As Accio, who joins the Fascist party because he’s got little else, Elio Germano is dim, scrappy, likable — Jughead as a hothead. B-
My Brother is an Only ChildOne hardly needs to have grown up Italian in the '60s to feel a pang of nostalgia watching My Brother Is an Only Child, Daniele Luchetti...My Brother is an Only ChildForeign Language, ComedyPT108MUnratedOne hardly needs to have grown up Italian in the '60s to feel a pang of nostalgia watching My Brother Is an Only Child, Daniele Luchetti...2008-04-09THINKFilm
Genre: Foreign Language, Comedy; Starring: Elio Germano, Riccardo Scamarcio; Director: Daniele Luchetti; Runtime (in minutes): 108; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: THINKFilm
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- Adrianne Palicki talks 'Agents of SHIELD' and Bobbi: 'a really interesting struggle for her'
- 'Justified': Jere Burns on Mikey's loyalty and THAT scene
- 'Being Mary Jane' director on portraying racism on TV
- 'Finding Carter' returns with its best hour yet
- 'Cougar Town' series finale: How the cul-de-sac crew said goodbye
- Casting Net: Hugh Jackman in 'Apostle Paul,' Stephen Amell in 'TMNT 2'
- Joni Mitchell hospitalized
- Woe-woe-woe: 23 signature sad songs of the past 20 years
- Jailbird watching: 13 memorable movie prisoners
- Will Ferrell's 15 greatest movie creations
- Julia Louis-Dreyfus in full bloom: New EW portraits
- 'Grey's Anatomy': 10 years, 20 defining moments
- Alicia, Nicki & Bey, Brooke Shields, Helen & Katie and More!