Abigail Breslin stars in Nim’s Island as a young girl living on a remote tropical outpost with only her scientist father (Gerard Butler) and a passel of anthropomorphized animal friends. When dad goes missing on a solo research trip, Nim reaches out to her literary hero, the dashing adventurer Alex Rover. Alex, it turns out, is actually an Alexandra — played as a neurotic, Purell-pumping agoraphobe by Jodie Foster. It’s hard to imagine kids not enjoying the good-hearted, lovingly shot fantasy of it all, and Breslin is charming, though most viewers past puberty will likely yearn to be voted off the Island. B
Genre: Action/Adventure, Kids and Family; Starring: Abigail Breslin, Jodie Foster, Gerard Butler; Director: Jennifer Flackett, Mark Levin; Author: Jennifer Flackett, Joseph Kwong, Mark Levin, Paula Mazur; Release Date Wide: 04/04/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 96; MPAA Rating: PG; Distributor: 20th Century Fox Film Corporation
Posted April 9 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Big Brother': Julie Chen answers our burning Qs
- See Nic Cage in his 'Superman Lives' costume
- Ava DuVernay decides not to direct 'Black Panther': 'We just didn't see eye to eye'
- LeBron James: Hollywood's newest MVP
- Know this week's pop culture news? Take EW's quiz to find out
- 10 celebrity memoirs to devour this summer
- Celebrate Independence Day with Steven Tyler's new country video
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- Miranda Kerr, Ewan & Chiwetel, Karlie Kloss & More!