The phrase crazy in love best describes Next to Normal, an intense new musical centering on a suburban mom (Alice Ripley) and her struggle to balance marriage, motherhood, and manic depression. Hubby (Brian d’Arcy James) tries to stay stalwart through rounds of meds and trips to shrinks; meanwhile, their teenage daughter (Jennifer Damiano) begins her own pharmaceutically aided spiral into self-destruction. Tom Kitt and Brian Yorkey’s lively score injects some much-needed satirical levity into the downer of a plot. But despite Ripley’s electric work, Normal never fully jells; like its heroine, it’s a bit off-kilter in the end. (212-246-4422) B-
Starring: Brian d'Arcy James, Alice Ripley; Director: Michael Grief; Author: Tom Kitt, Brian Yorkey; Opening Date: 02/12/2008
Posted April 10 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Bob Dylan thanks Nobel Prize committee for honoring his songs as literature
- Chris Pratt says his son thinks acting is 'stupid'
- 'Assassin's Creed': Final trailer has plenty of new footage
- Louis Tomlinson debuts new song on ‘X Factor’ days after mom’s death
- 'Insidious: Chapter 4' first look sees Lin Shaye facing her demons
- 'Sherlock' intense season 4 trailer: 'I love you'
- Patti Smith covers Bob Dylan at Nobel Prize ceremony