There’s something about Tovah Feldshuh — oh, heck, let’s just call her Tovah, like she tells us to do in her cabaret show’s zippy opening number ”Call Me Tovah” — that’s instantly warm, welcoming, and invigorating. Perhaps it’s the way at In a Nutshell she addresses us as ”my darlings.” Or the look on her face as she deadpans: ”You are in the nutshell of my brain.” Or the zest with which she careens through a motley crew of characters like foul-mouthed Sophie Tucker; a snooty subway-phobe; her Italian-accented voice teacher (a soprano who barks like a dog as a warm-up); and a baseball-cap-wearing street kid (there’s a rap involved, and it’s best left undiscussed). She’s probably the first person to recite e.e. cummings’ adulterous ode ”may i feel said he” at Feinstein’s at the Regency. (Poetry in a piano bar? Oy gevalt!) But Tovah is at her best when she’s simply being herself — crooning a breathy, torchy ”That Old Black Magic,” pouring her optimism into a tinkly ”On a Clear Day,” channeling her father and her younger self for a Gershwin medley. ”Gershwin was the composer of choice in our house,” she recalls, before launching into ”Of Thee I Sing,” ”My One and Only,” ”I Got Rhythm,” and a host of other George and Ira gems. It’s the highlight of the evening, and the best showcase for this petite powerhouse singer/actress. For her return Feinstein’s engagement, may I suggest an all-Gershwin set? Oh, Tovah Be Good? Fascinating Tovah? Of Tovah We Sing? So many possibilities…. (212-339-4095 or feinsteinsattheregency.com) B
Tovah Feldshuh In a Nutshell\There's something about Tovah Feldshuh — oh, heck, let's just call her Tovah, like she tells us to do in her cabaret show's zippy opening number '...Tovah Feldshuh In a Nutshell\There's something about Tovah Feldshuh — oh, heck, let's just call her Tovah, like she tells us to do in her cabaret show's zippy opening number '...2008-04-10
Starring: Tovah Feldshuh; Opening Date: 03/04/2008
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- 'Outlander' boss Ronald Moore talks Geillis reveal, Claire's shocking choice
- 'Orphan Black' creators on series' sexy, surreal return
- Tatiana Maslany on 'Orphan Black' return, and 'totally changing up what people were going to expect'
- Jonathan Crombie, seen as Gilbert Blythe in 'Anne of Green Gables' films, dies at 48
- Johnny Kemp, 'Just Got Paid' singer, dies
- Star Wars Celebration: Jakku, BB-8 and other key takeaways about 'The Force Awakens'
- Two generations of heroes meet in new 'Star Wars Rebels' trailer
- 'Star Wars' fans take Anaheim: Celebration photos
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Prince Harry, Christina Aguilera, Diane Kruger & More!