There’s something about Tovah Feldshuh — oh, heck, let’s just call her Tovah, like she tells us to do in her cabaret show’s zippy opening number ”Call Me Tovah” — that’s instantly warm, welcoming, and invigorating. Perhaps it’s the way at In a Nutshell she addresses us as ”my darlings.” Or the look on her face as she deadpans: ”You are in the nutshell of my brain.” Or the zest with which she careens through a motley crew of characters like foul-mouthed Sophie Tucker; a snooty subway-phobe; her Italian-accented voice teacher (a soprano who barks like a dog as a warm-up); and a baseball-cap-wearing street kid (there’s a rap involved, and it’s best left undiscussed). She’s probably the first person to recite e.e. cummings’ adulterous ode ”may i feel said he” at Feinstein’s at the Regency. (Poetry in a piano bar? Oy gevalt!) But Tovah is at her best when she’s simply being herself — crooning a breathy, torchy ”That Old Black Magic,” pouring her optimism into a tinkly ”On a Clear Day,” channeling her father and her younger self for a Gershwin medley. ”Gershwin was the composer of choice in our house,” she recalls, before launching into ”Of Thee I Sing,” ”My One and Only,” ”I Got Rhythm,” and a host of other George and Ira gems. It’s the highlight of the evening, and the best showcase for this petite powerhouse singer/actress. For her return Feinstein’s engagement, may I suggest an all-Gershwin set? Oh, Tovah Be Good? Fascinating Tovah? Of Tovah We Sing? So many possibilities…. (212-339-4095 or feinsteinsattheregency.com) B
Tovah Feldshuh In a Nutshell\There's something about Tovah Feldshuh — oh, heck, let's just call her Tovah, like she tells us to do in her cabaret show's zippy opening number '...Tovah Feldshuh In a Nutshell\There's something about Tovah Feldshuh — oh, heck, let's just call her Tovah, like she tells us to do in her cabaret show's zippy opening number '...2008-04-10
Starring: Tovah Feldshuh; Opening Date: 03/04/2008
Posted April 10 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Austin Mahone shares details of 'more mature' debut record
- Sofia Vergara channels Peg Bundy in Instagram post
- Jimmy Kimmel asks L.A. pedestrians if Barack Obama is a muslim
- Hear the melancholic title track off Patty Griffin's new album 'Servant of Love'
- 'RuPaul's Drag Race' queens step into 'Golden Girls' shoes in honor of 30th anniversary
- Amanda Peet says Jon Snow's death ended her marriage (she's kidding)
- Meghan Trainor posts update on vocal surgery recovery
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- Alessandra Ambrósio, The Kardashians, Malin Akerman & More!