(FROM ADWEEK) ? ABC is adding live commercials to each episode of late-night talk show Jimmy Kimmel Live, starting in May. The commercials will be a throwback to the early days of TV when shows were broadcast live sponsored in their entirety by a single product. The practice ended in the 1970s when shows were taped and sponsored by multiple advertisers, but advertisers are hoping that live advertising could be a way to counter the DVR trend to tune out commercials. Last May, GPS manufacturer Garmin aired the first live ad on the Tonight Show in 14 years, and the company claims that post-telecast research showed that effectiveness and awareness levels for the live spot were significantly higher than for many of the company’s traditional 30-second spots. Garmin is planning another live spot on the Tonight Show in the second quarter of this year. ABC is currently in the process of reaching out to its advertisers for the upcoming live spots on Kimmel. (Adweek)
Posted April 15 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See Ethan Hawke as Chet Baker in a 'Born to Be Blue' clip
- Boba Fett finally escapes Tatooine in fan-made trailer
- 'Mr. Robot' creator explains why you were supposed to guess the big twist
- How Soundgarden's Chris Cornell overcame stage fright for new solo set
- 'Contracted: Phase II' director talks about his 'surreal' VMAs experience
- Sneak Peek: Early scoop from EW's Shondaland issue
- Shonda Rhimes reveals the shows she wishes she created
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Behind Lady Gaga's killer look in 'American Horror Story: Hotel'
- Alessandra Ambrósio, The Kardashians, Malin Akerman & More!