(FROM ADWEEK) ? ABC is adding live commercials to each episode of late-night talk show Jimmy Kimmel Live, starting in May. The commercials will be a throwback to the early days of TV when shows were broadcast live sponsored in their entirety by a single product. The practice ended in the 1970s when shows were taped and sponsored by multiple advertisers, but advertisers are hoping that live advertising could be a way to counter the DVR trend to tune out commercials. Last May, GPS manufacturer Garmin aired the first live ad on the Tonight Show in 14 years, and the company claims that post-telecast research showed that effectiveness and awareness levels for the live spot were significantly higher than for many of the company’s traditional 30-second spots. Garmin is planning another live spot on the Tonight Show in the second quarter of this year. ABC is currently in the process of reaching out to its advertisers for the upcoming live spots on Kimmel. (Adweek)
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- 'Forever' sneak peek: John Noble puts Henry to a test he nearly fails
- 'Late Show' sneak peek: President Obama, David Letterman make retirement plans
- 'The Flash': Iris confronts Barry with the truth
- Jada Pinkett Smith on Fish Mooney's fate as 'Gotham' wraps season 1
- Orlando Jones exits 'Sleepy Hollow': Where does the show go from here?
- Black Widow in 'Ultron': Give and (your) take
- Sofia Vergara speaks about her embryo lawsuit with ex Nick Loeb
- 'Pitch Perfect 2' costume designer's fashion notes
- Mourning after: Best TV episodes after a key character died
- NSYNC hair, revisited on 'It's Gonna Be May' meme day
- 'Outlander' sweats details so Lallybroch feels like home
- 'Grey's Anatomy': How 10 characters/actors exited the show
- Britney Spears, Orlando Bloom, Solange & More!