(FROM ADWEEK) ? ABC is adding live commercials to each episode of late-night talk show Jimmy Kimmel Live, starting in May. The commercials will be a throwback to the early days of TV when shows were broadcast live sponsored in their entirety by a single product. The practice ended in the 1970s when shows were taped and sponsored by multiple advertisers, but advertisers are hoping that live advertising could be a way to counter the DVR trend to tune out commercials. Last May, GPS manufacturer Garmin aired the first live ad on the Tonight Show in 14 years, and the company claims that post-telecast research showed that effectiveness and awareness levels for the live spot were significantly higher than for many of the company’s traditional 30-second spots. Garmin is planning another live spot on the Tonight Show in the second quarter of this year. ABC is currently in the process of reaching out to its advertisers for the upcoming live spots on Kimmel. (Adweek)
Posted April 15 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Disney eyes live-action 'Prince Charming'
- Ezra Koenig of Vampire Weekend lands own Beats 1 Radio show
- 'Sesame Street': Sonia 'Maria' Manzano's 7 favorites
- 'Hannibal': No go at Netflix, Amazon
- Caitlyn Jenner gives empowering talk in new 'I Am Cait' trailer
- Michael Eisner clarifies comment that beautiful, funny women are 'impossible to find'
- Sluggish Fourth of July box office no picnic for Hollywood
- Channing Tatum in 'Magic Mike XXL' leads our quip picks
- Reel-to-real couples: 12 relationships on-screen and off
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- Kendall Jenner, Liv Tyler, Jessie J & More!