Octogenarian soprano Galina Vishnevskaya looks unmistakably stately but passes as a stolid Everygranny in Alexandra, a startling, elliptical war parable by the intense Russian director Alexander Sokurov (Russian Ark). Alexandra is a grandmother visiting her soldier grandson, Denis (Vasily Shevtsov), stationed at the Chechen front; she plods into Denis’ military base toting her trusty wheeled shopping cart like it’s market day. And in exploring the premises with a steel will and a maternal tenderness, she takes on the authority of timeless Mother Russia herself. A-
Genre: Drama; Starring: Vasily Shevtsov, Galina Vishnevskaya; Director: Alexander Sokurov; Author: Alexander Sokurov; Release Date Limited: 03/26/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 94; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: The Cinema Guild
Posted April 17 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- See the Foo Fighters rock out with Blues Traveler's John Popper
- Hootie explains how he got name-checked in 'Mo Money Mo Problems'
- 9 little-known facts about Rihanna's first album
- Faith-based drama in tight race with 'Straight Outta Compton' at box office
- Liam Payne turns 22! See his most GIF-able moments
- Venice Film Festival premiere of star-studded Martin Scorsese short canceled
- Taylor Swift teases 'Wildest Dreams' video with pic of Scott Eastwood
- 'American Horror Story: Hotel' First Look: 11 EW exclusive photos
- 17 photos of people you forgot hung out at the VMAs
- 24 Movies With Great Opening Scenes
- 'Survivor: Cambodia—Second Chance' Cast Photos Revealed!
- Where is the cast of 'Can't Hardly Wait' now?
- Darius Rucker, Paris Hilton, Nick & Pharrell and More!