Octogenarian soprano Galina Vishnevskaya looks unmistakably stately but passes as a stolid Everygranny in Alexandra, a startling, elliptical war parable by the intense Russian director Alexander Sokurov (Russian Ark). Alexandra is a grandmother visiting her soldier grandson, Denis (Vasily Shevtsov), stationed at the Chechen front; she plods into Denis’ military base toting her trusty wheeled shopping cart like it’s market day. And in exploring the premises with a steel will and a maternal tenderness, she takes on the authority of timeless Mother Russia herself. A-
Genre: Drama; Starring: Vasily Shevtsov, Galina Vishnevskaya; Director: Alexander Sokurov; Author: Alexander Sokurov; Release Date Limited: 03/26/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 94; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: The Cinema Guild
Posted April 17 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Spotlight,' 'Mad Men,' 'The Big Short' win big at WGA Awards
- Box office: 'Deadpool' shatters records with $135 million
- See Ronda Rousey's 'Sports Illustrated' Swimsuit Issue cover
- Melissa McCarthy, Kate McKinnon celebrate Valentine's Day with cats on 'SNL'
- 'SNL' mocks reactions to Beyoncé's 'Formation' with horror movie spoof
- George Clooney describes how 'bananas' it was to do 'Facts of Life'
- What time are the Grammys? And other burning questions answered!