Octogenarian soprano Galina Vishnevskaya looks unmistakably stately but passes as a stolid Everygranny in Alexandra, a startling, elliptical war parable by the intense Russian director Alexander Sokurov (Russian Ark). Alexandra is a grandmother visiting her soldier grandson, Denis (Vasily Shevtsov), stationed at the Chechen front; she plods into Denis’ military base toting her trusty wheeled shopping cart like it’s market day. And in exploring the premises with a steel will and a maternal tenderness, she takes on the authority of timeless Mother Russia herself. A-
Genre: Drama; Starring: Vasily Shevtsov, Galina Vishnevskaya; Director: Alexander Sokurov; Author: Alexander Sokurov; Release Date Limited: 03/26/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 94; MPAA Rating: Unrated; Distributor: The Cinema Guild
Posted April 17 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Former 'Power Rangers' star denies killing his roommate with a sword
- Watch Britney Spears sing Taylor Swift's 'Shake It Off' on helium
- 'Once Upon a Time': Is there hope for Belle and Rumple?
- Colin Trevorrow: 'Jurassic World 2' will be 'suspenseful and scary'
- NBC scraps 'Mail Order Family' comedy after backlash
- 'Stranger Things' is even stranger in 8-bit animated remake
- Justin Bieber ordered to report for deposition or face arrest