In The Baum Plan for Financial Independence, his first collection in a decade, John Kessel jumps from place to place like a jolty time machine. In ”Pride and Prometheus,” Frankenstein and Jane Austen intersect in an uncanny Victorian tale of unrequited love, while ”A Lunar Quartet” introduces a matriarchal, hypersexual moon colony in the future. But as a group, these stories offer a sustained exploration of the ways gender dynamics can both empower and enslave us. Kessel’s wit sparkles throughout, peaking with the most uproariously weird phone-sex conversation you’ll ever read (”The Red Phone”). A-
The Baum Plan for Financial Independence In The Baum Plan for Financial Independence, his first collection in a decade, John Kessel jumps from place to place like a jolty time...The Baum Plan for Financial IndependenceShort Stories, FictionJohn Kessel In The Baum Plan for Financial Independence, his first collection in a decade, John Kessel jumps from place to place like a jolty time...2008-04-18Small Beer
Genre: Short Stories, Fiction; Author: John Kessel; Publisher: Small Beer
Posted January 17 2015 — 10:36 AM EST
- Pixar's 'Inside Out' peek: Joy has a special job for Sadness on first day at a new school
- ACM Awards' host Luke Bryan on big stage: 'It's fun to have a touch of anxiety'
- 'Orphan Black' star Tatiana Maslany says fan love is 'like fuel for us'
- 'The Messengers' premiere: Heaven or hell?
- Casting Net: Ben Stiller confirms Penelope Cruz will be in 'Zoolander 2'
- 'Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk' gets Veteran's Day 2016 release
- Five Broadway tickets to snag before Tony nominations make it impossible
- 'Orphan Black': So, you wanna date a clone?
- 'Star Wars': 15 behind-the-scenes 'Force Awakens' pics
- Dirty words on TV? 17 faves whose spew is par for the coarse
- TV Style: 3 costume pros on their '70s-'80s-'90s inspirations
- Madonna's Cone Bra turns 25: How this Gaultier lingerie's legacy lingers
- Olivia Wilde, Brad Paisley, Brandy Norwood & More!