(AP VIA YAHOO!) — Danny Federici, the keyboardist for Bruce Springsteen’s E Street Band, died Thursday in New York, following a long battle with melanoma. He was 58. Federici was integral to Springsteen’s career — he, original E Street drummer Vini Lopez, and Bruce played in various Jersey bands together from the late ’60s. Affectionately called ”Phantom Dan” by Springsteen, he also helped shape the sound of Springsteen staples like ”Hungry Heart” and ”The Rising,” and last played with the Boss in March. ”Danny and I worked together for 40 years — he was the most wonderfully fluid keyboard player and a pure natural musician. I loved him very much…we grew up together,” Springsteen said in a statement on his website. Springsteen has postponed shows scheduled for Friday and Saturday in Florida. (<a href=”http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080418/ap_en_mu/obit_federici_16” target=”_new”” >AP via Yahoo!)
Posted April 20 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Hillary Clinton shares empowering message for young girls
- Howard Dean reprises his famous 'Dean Scream' moment during DNC
- Chiwetel Ejiofor in talks to join Robert Redford in 'Come Sunday'
- Lena Dunham, America Ferrera slam Donald Trump at DNC
- Mothers of slain black youth deliver powerful speeches at DNC
- Jessica Chastain in talks to join Jake Gyllenhaal's 'The Division'
- Elizabeth Banks compares Donald Trump to 'Hunger Games' character