(AP VIA YAHOO!) — Danny Federici, the keyboardist for Bruce Springsteen’s E Street Band, died Thursday in New York, following a long battle with melanoma. He was 58. Federici was integral to Springsteen’s career — he, original E Street drummer Vini Lopez, and Bruce played in various Jersey bands together from the late ’60s. Affectionately called ”Phantom Dan” by Springsteen, he also helped shape the sound of Springsteen staples like ”Hungry Heart” and ”The Rising,” and last played with the Boss in March. ”Danny and I worked together for 40 years — he was the most wonderfully fluid keyboard player and a pure natural musician. I loved him very much…we grew up together,” Springsteen said in a statement on his website. Springsteen has postponed shows scheduled for Friday and Saturday in Florida. (<a href=”http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080418/ap_en_mu/obit_federici_16” target=”_new”” >AP via Yahoo!)
Posted April 20 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Azealia Banks to make feature film debut in RZA's 'Coco'
- Taylor Swift saluted with 8-foot Lego portrait at U.K. resort
- Tina Fey, Amy Poehler action figures
- 'Point Break' remake gets its first trailer
- Kris Jenner to trademark 'momager'
- Listen to Juanes go EDM with Cédric Gervais in new song 'Este Amor'
- Bill Paxton reminisces about 15 key roles
- 15 scary movies we saw as kids... that still haunt our nightmares
- Summer Movie Preview: 10 must-see documentaries
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' First Look: 7 photos from the set
- Cannes 2015: What's buzzing in film and fashion
- Bryce & Chris, Karlie Kloss, Tony & Gaga and More!