(AP VIA YAHOO!) — Danny Federici, the keyboardist for Bruce Springsteen’s E Street Band, died Thursday in New York, following a long battle with melanoma. He was 58. Federici was integral to Springsteen’s career — he, original E Street drummer Vini Lopez, and Bruce played in various Jersey bands together from the late ’60s. Affectionately called ”Phantom Dan” by Springsteen, he also helped shape the sound of Springsteen staples like ”Hungry Heart” and ”The Rising,” and last played with the Boss in March. ”Danny and I worked together for 40 years — he was the most wonderfully fluid keyboard player and a pure natural musician. I loved him very much…we grew up together,” Springsteen said in a statement on his website. Springsteen has postponed shows scheduled for Friday and Saturday in Florida. (<a href=”http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080418/ap_en_mu/obit_federici_16” target=”_new”” >AP via Yahoo!)
Posted April 20 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kanye West's 'The Life of Pablo' has finally arrived
- Jonah Hill to host 'Saturday Night Live'
- Interracial marriage drama 'Loving' acquired by Focus Features
- Lady Gaga is getting her own 'Monster High' doll
- Melissa McCarthy hosts 'SNL': Talk about it here
- Chiwetel Ejiofor says he'll never forgive Mark from 'Love Actually'
- Hear Disney princesses sing in their original languages