(AP VIA YAHOO!) — Danny Federici, the keyboardist for Bruce Springsteen’s E Street Band, died Thursday in New York, following a long battle with melanoma. He was 58. Federici was integral to Springsteen’s career — he, original E Street drummer Vini Lopez, and Bruce played in various Jersey bands together from the late ’60s. Affectionately called ”Phantom Dan” by Springsteen, he also helped shape the sound of Springsteen staples like ”Hungry Heart” and ”The Rising,” and last played with the Boss in March. ”Danny and I worked together for 40 years — he was the most wonderfully fluid keyboard player and a pure natural musician. I loved him very much…we grew up together,” Springsteen said in a statement on his website. Springsteen has postponed shows scheduled for Friday and Saturday in Florida. (<a href=”http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080418/ap_en_mu/obit_federici_16” target=”_new”” >AP via Yahoo!)
Posted April 20 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Listen to Led Zeppelin's Lost 'Sunshine Woman' Track
- Ava DuVernay tweets support for Leslie Jones: 'Stay up, sis'
- Here's why Giancarlo Esposito turned down a Marvel TV role
- 'Jason Bourne' 3-D screenings causing nausea and protests in China
- Olympian auctions off medal to pay young boy's medical bills
- Nicole Scherzinger's Britney Spears impression is 'Crazy' good
- Woody Allen on Dylan Farrow accusations: 'I get harassed all the time on it'