After Gummo and Julien Donkey-Boy, the director Harmony Korine evinces a kind of integrity — he tries never to entertain, and lo, he succeeds. In Mister Lonely, his latest grunge diddle, a Michael Jackson impersonator (Diego Luna) lands at a colony of celebrity imitators that’s like an insane asylum for the Age of Fame. Samantha Morton pops up as ”Marilyn Monroe,” but none of the faux icons comes close to being a character. Instead, they are contrasted with a group of nuns who skydive without parachutes. Could this possibly be a metaphor for Korine’s filmmaking? It certainly goes splat. D
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Starring: Diego Luna, Samantha Morton; Director: Harmony Korine; Author: Harmony Korine; Runtime (in minutes): 112; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted April 30 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Big Brother': Julie Chen answers our burning Qs
- See Nic Cage in his 'Superman Lives' costume
- Ava DuVernay decides not to direct 'Black Panther': 'We just didn't see eye to eye'
- LeBron James: Hollywood's newest MVP
- Know this week's pop culture news? Take EW's quiz to find out
- 10 celebrity memoirs to devour this summer
- Celebrate Independence Day with Steven Tyler's new country video
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- 26 TV faves you forgot were in 'Seinfeld' episodes
- Miranda Kerr, Ewan & Chiwetel, Karlie Kloss & More!