After Gummo and Julien Donkey-Boy, the director Harmony Korine evinces a kind of integrity — he tries never to entertain, and lo, he succeeds. In Mister Lonely, his latest grunge diddle, a Michael Jackson impersonator (Diego Luna) lands at a colony of celebrity imitators that’s like an insane asylum for the Age of Fame. Samantha Morton pops up as ”Marilyn Monroe,” but none of the faux icons comes close to being a character. Instead, they are contrasted with a group of nuns who skydive without parachutes. Could this possibly be a metaphor for Korine’s filmmaking? It certainly goes splat. D
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Starring: Diego Luna, Samantha Morton; Director: Harmony Korine; Author: Harmony Korine; Runtime (in minutes): 112; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted April 30 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Kris Jenner reveals what she knew about Caitlyn's transition
- Hear Motopony's relaxed psychedelia on '1971' -- exclusive
- Watch Lauryn Hill cover Nina Simone at the Apollo Theater
- Hear the premiere of High on Fire's 'The Sunless Years'
- Buzz Bissinger talks Caitlyn Jenner story on 'Today'
- Noel Gallagher still thinks Zayn should have stayed with One Direction
- Chuck Palahniuk talks 'Fight Club 2,' shares excerpt of 'Expedition'