After Gummo and Julien Donkey-Boy, the director Harmony Korine evinces a kind of integrity — he tries never to entertain, and lo, he succeeds. In Mister Lonely, his latest grunge diddle, a Michael Jackson impersonator (Diego Luna) lands at a colony of celebrity imitators that’s like an insane asylum for the Age of Fame. Samantha Morton pops up as ”Marilyn Monroe,” but none of the faux icons comes close to being a character. Instead, they are contrasted with a group of nuns who skydive without parachutes. Could this possibly be a metaphor for Korine’s filmmaking? It certainly goes splat. D
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Starring: Diego Luna, Samantha Morton; Director: Harmony Korine; Author: Harmony Korine; Runtime (in minutes): 112; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted April 30 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Vikings' shocker: Creator Michael Hirst talks the death of [spoiler]
- 'Vikings' kills again: A talk with the departing actor
- Casting Net: Viola Davis, Catalina Sandino Moreno star in 'Custody'
- Obama talks 'The Wire' with David Simon
- Warner Bros wins bid for rights to viral 'Sundays' short
- Oscar producers Meron, Zadan moving on
- Craig T. Nelson back as Hayden Fox in NBC 'Coach' revival
- 'American Crime Story' cast: Think each actor looks the part?
- Double trouble: Movie/TV characters who fight themselves
- Patricia Field on 5 costume gigs before she got 'Younger'
- 'Game of Thrones' London premiere: Red carpet style
- Best ‘DWTS’ champ? A (non-scientific) power ranking
- T.I. & Kevin, Jon Hamm, Olivia & Jason and More!