After Gummo and Julien Donkey-Boy, the director Harmony Korine evinces a kind of integrity — he tries never to entertain, and lo, he succeeds. In Mister Lonely, his latest grunge diddle, a Michael Jackson impersonator (Diego Luna) lands at a colony of celebrity imitators that’s like an insane asylum for the Age of Fame. Samantha Morton pops up as ”Marilyn Monroe,” but none of the faux icons comes close to being a character. Instead, they are contrasted with a group of nuns who skydive without parachutes. Could this possibly be a metaphor for Korine’s filmmaking? It certainly goes splat. D
Genre: Drama, Comedy; Starring: Diego Luna, Samantha Morton; Director: Harmony Korine; Author: Harmony Korine; Release Date Limited: 04/30/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 112; MPAA Rating: Unrated
Posted April 30 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- How the novel 'Star Wars: Aftermath' sets up 'The Force Awakens'
- The lawsuit over 'Mr. Holmes' has been settled, attorney says
- Kristen Bell’s gift to Dax Shepard makes us all miss 'Parenthood'
- Casting Net: Jason Momoa to star in lumberjack thriller Braven
- Brad Paisley gets ready for football season with 'Country Nation' video
- Selena Gomez is officially in 'Neighbors 2'
- Interracial family comedy in the works at NBC, from Parks and Recreation pair
- How three worlds collided for the Shondaland cast shoot: See the exclusive photos
- 8 most polarizing celebrities in 'Dancing With the Stars' history
- All the VMAs 2015 performances graded
- VMAs 2015 Red Carpet: See All the Looks!
- 16 TV characters who stuck around longer than expected
- Heidi & Howie, Chris Evans, Kelly Rowland and More!