That thing. That thing David Mamet does in his plays and movies. Like in this one, about an L.A. jujitsu instructor (a soulful Chiwetel Ejiofor) with sad eyes and a Spartan code of honor. That thing Mamet does, with blunt guys mouthing off and doing tricky guy deals. (Inevitably, there’s some woman being duplicitous.) That thing Mamet does he does again with feverish effing commitment in Redbelt, his effing Rocky. Mamet regulars Ricky Jay and Joe Mantegna blend well with Mamet newbie Tim Allen, a treat as a spoiled-rotten aging Hollywood action star. B+
Genre: Drama, Action/Adventure; Starring: Chiwetel Ejiofor, Tim Allen; Director: David Mamet; Author: David Mamet; Release Date Limited: 05/02/2008; Release Date Wide: 05/09/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted April 30 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- 'Frozen' musical selects city for world premiere before Broadway
- 'The Big Bang Theory' shocker: Bernadette's big news!
- Here are all the featured artists on Kanye West's new album
- 'Deadpool' screenwriters 'trying to get a jump on' sequel
- Martin Shkreli wants to be the sole owner of Kanye West's new album
- See a preview of Kanye West's videogame, about his mother going to heaven
- Box office preview: 'Deadpool' to demolish 'Zoolander 2,' 'How To Be Single'
- Check out the new Maz Kanata 'Star Wars' action figure
- Burt Reynolds Through the Years
- 'The Walking Dead’: Exclusive EW Portraits
- Exclusive Look at 'The Walking Dead' Midseason Return
- 30 Exclusive First Look Photos at the New Wizarding World of Harry Potter
- This Is What the Grammys Looked Like in 1996