That thing. That thing David Mamet does in his plays and movies. Like in this one, about an L.A. jujitsu instructor (a soulful Chiwetel Ejiofor) with sad eyes and a Spartan code of honor. That thing Mamet does, with blunt guys mouthing off and doing tricky guy deals. (Inevitably, there’s some woman being duplicitous.) That thing Mamet does he does again with feverish effing commitment in Redbelt, his effing Rocky. Mamet regulars Ricky Jay and Joe Mantegna blend well with Mamet newbie Tim Allen, a treat as a spoiled-rotten aging Hollywood action star. B+
Genre: Drama, Action/Adventure; Starring: Chiwetel Ejiofor, Tim Allen; Director: David Mamet; Author: David Mamet; Release Date Wide: 05/09/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted April 30 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Bob Saget joins 'Fuller House,' says John Stamos in a tweet
- 'Wayward Pines' boss Chad Hodge talks episode 3: The Terrence Howard hymnal you didn't hear
- National Spelling Bee announces two champions
- '19 Kids & Counting' nix: Hulu exec says...
- Mariah Carey: 'Idol' was 'worst experience of my life'
- Kristen Bell live tweets her mistaken UberPool ride
- Casting Net: B.J. Novak joins Michael Keaton's 'The Founder,' Will Forte boards Key & Peele comedy