That thing. That thing David Mamet does in his plays and movies. Like in this one, about an L.A. jujitsu instructor (a soulful Chiwetel Ejiofor) with sad eyes and a Spartan code of honor. That thing Mamet does, with blunt guys mouthing off and doing tricky guy deals. (Inevitably, there’s some woman being duplicitous.) That thing Mamet does he does again with feverish effing commitment in Redbelt, his effing Rocky. Mamet regulars Ricky Jay and Joe Mantegna blend well with Mamet newbie Tim Allen, a treat as a spoiled-rotten aging Hollywood action star. B+
Genre: Drama, Action/Adventure; Starring: Chiwetel Ejiofor, Tim Allen; Director: David Mamet; Author: David Mamet; Release Date Wide: 05/09/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted April 30 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- James Bay adds some tambourine to Rihanna, Kanye West's 'FourFiveSeconds'
- Constance Wu of 'Fresh Off the Boat' opens up about the show's controversial start
- Bill Cosby accuser tells her story
- Kelela and Arca team up for the gorgeous future-R&B track 'A Message'
- Elizabeth Henstridge talks 'Agents of SHIELD'...while playing 'Mario Kart'
- Modest Mouse share 'Of Course We Know,' announce tour dates
- Jon Stewart gives WWE foe the 'Daily Shoe'--below the belt