That thing. That thing David Mamet does in his plays and movies. Like in this one, about an L.A. jujitsu instructor (a soulful Chiwetel Ejiofor) with sad eyes and a Spartan code of honor. That thing Mamet does, with blunt guys mouthing off and doing tricky guy deals. (Inevitably, there’s some woman being duplicitous.) That thing Mamet does he does again with feverish effing commitment in Redbelt, his effing Rocky. Mamet regulars Ricky Jay and Joe Mantegna blend well with Mamet newbie Tim Allen, a treat as a spoiled-rotten aging Hollywood action star. B+
Genre: Drama, Action/Adventure; Starring: Chiwetel Ejiofor, Tim Allen; Director: David Mamet; Author: David Mamet; Release Date Wide: 05/09/2008; Runtime (in minutes): 99; MPAA Rating: R; Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
Posted April 30 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Caitlyn Jenner writes about the beginning of her journey in touching blog post
- 5 reasons Hayley Atwell is a woman who kicks ass
- Alison Brie sprinkles some Salt-N-Pepa over her 'Lip Sync Battle': Watch
- See the first full promo for 'Bachelor in Paradise' season 2
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' animated series sets fall premiere date
- Which Avengers member is definitely in 'Ant-Man'?
- Chris Pratt used his raptor-whispering skills on the Avengers
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Rumer & Khloé, Usher, Cara Delevingne & More!