As a boy, director Garth Jennings (The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy) had a life-changing encounter with Sylvester Stallone’s First Blood. ”We watched it, my friend and I, and it blew our minds,” he recalls. ”I ended up making little video versions of Rambo with my friends.” Decades later, Jennings stumbled across his childhood films — and the idea for Son of Rambow was born. The indie film follows two British boys (first-timers Bill Milner and Will Poulter) who team up to shoot an ode to their favorite action hero. The sweetest part? Jennings heard from his: ”I got Sly’s blessing!” he gushes. ”It’s rather fantastic.” (May 2)
Posted May 1 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Keke Palmer: 'Scream Queens' will be just 'as brutal' as 'American Horror Story'
- Empire State Building jams out to Grateful Dead with synchronized July 4 light show
- Dave Grohl's game of throne in D.C.
- Kit Harington: Buzz about his long hair
- Missy Elliott takes show into the crowd at Essence Fest
- 'Jurassic World' stomps 'Terminator Genisys,' 'Magic Mike XXL' at holiday box office
- 'Back to the Future' turns 30: See the cast, then and now
- 'Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice': 6 EW exclusive photos
- Comic-Con 2015 preview: 10 panels we can't wait to see
- 'Seinfeld' faves: Where are they now?
- 14 high school movies that defined their year
- Rumer & Khloé, Usher, Cara Delevingne & More!