As a boy, director Garth Jennings (The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy) had a life-changing encounter with Sylvester Stallone’s First Blood. ”We watched it, my friend and I, and it blew our minds,” he recalls. ”I ended up making little video versions of Rambo with my friends.” Decades later, Jennings stumbled across his childhood films — and the idea for Son of Rambow was born. The indie film follows two British boys (first-timers Bill Milner and Will Poulter) who team up to shoot an ode to their favorite action hero. The sweetest part? Jennings heard from his: ”I got Sly’s blessing!” he gushes. ”It’s rather fantastic.” (May 2)
Posted May 1 2008 — 12:00 AM EDT
- Get your first look at The CW's 'iZombie'
- Mireille Enos in Shonda Rhimes' 'Catch'
- 'Breakfast Club' to screen at SXSW Festival
- Daytime Emmy Awards returning to television
- Hear Will Butler of Arcade Fire's solo debut 'Policy' on Spotify
- The full, uncensored studio version of Kanye's 'All Day' is finally here
- The EW Guide to Music Festival Season 2015